Register free!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Drought in OH

I started my LC business about three years ago but just went full time this spring (great year to do this huh). Due to the early drought, I wasn't able to complete round 2 and it looks like with the continued drought there won't be any more applications until we get a rain. Just wondered what you all are doing if you are in the same situation. Need some $ to come in, but not sure what to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I started my LC business about three years ago but just went full time this spring (great year to do this huh). Due to the early drought, I wasn't able to complete round 2 and it looks like with the continued drought there won't be any more applications until we get a rain. Just wondered what you all are doing if you are in the same situation. Need some $ to come in, but not sure what to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You might consider doing something like a straight Nitroform application in such conditions. I had to go that route last year during the drought. It will not burn, and will help the turf once conditions improve.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks!

I talked to my Lesco rep and his concern was the traffic. He was concerned I would damage the lawns when driving on them with the PG. Also I don't want to tick off my customers. Here we are in a drought and I am out driving on their lawn applying product. How do you handle these situations?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Rcreech

I've been putting down 19-0-19 on the lawns of my customers who don't want to pay for an application of Allectus (insect protection) instead. The 19-0-19 I've been using has a lot of advantages to it for this time of year. To name a few, it's a 100% slow-release product. Because of this, it will just sit on my customer's lawns and do nothing until it's activated by moisture. No dessication, or anything to worry about. The nitrogen source of this product is Balanced Chain Methylene Urea (BCMU). The potassium source is sulphate of potash (SOP). That's yet another perk this product has for Summertime use (doesn't introduce as much salt to the lawn as potassium chloride would for example).

Another nice perk to this product, is the small size of the prills (145 SGN). Because the prills are so small, it still flows exceptionally well at reduced Summertime application rates. I also get this stuff at a great price.

Luckily, none of my lawns have been too stressed to walk on. That rain we had a week, or so ago really helped out a lot. What part of Ohio are you in?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Victor,
Thanks for the reply. I just looked at your pond pics you have posted. Very impressive. I was looking at putting in a pond in the next few weeks, but may wait now and conserve some $.
Anyway, I am close to Eaton just South of 70. I watched the rains all brake up on the IN line (where I am) and then go back together and hit you guys good. You are very fortunate to have caught that. We are in serious trouble here! When we walk on our lawns it crunch's and leaves foot prints. Next chance of rain in next Tue and it is only 60%.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel for you. We did get lucky with that reprieve. If your lawns are that crispy, I'd definitely keep off of them. I really hope you guys get some of that rain that's coming. I'd do a rain dance if I thought it'd help. Hang in there.

Thanks for the good words on my pond. It's funny you mentioned it, as I was out there doing some pond maintenance tonight. I sure pulled some NASTY, NASTY stuff out of the vortex! I almost fed the fish there a couple of times.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you find the 19-0-19 with the sulfate of potash? Thanks
2 Redmax Trimmers
1 Redmax Edger
1 Powertrim Edger
1 Z-SPRAY Walkbehind Unit
1 Lesco push spreader
1 Applicator/Operator License for Turf & Ornamentals
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

19-0-19

UAP has it.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very dry here, southeast of Indianapolis, lawns are pretty much brown and crunchy. I have had less than 2 inches of rain in the last 7 weeks, which came in light scattered amounts. Seen some guys mowing the other day, just blowing dust and making tracks. I can only wonder if they will get paid or lose the account.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayboy View Post
Very dry here, southeast of Indianapolis, lawns are pretty much brown and crunchy. I have had less than 2 inches of rain in the last 7 weeks, which came in light scattered amounts. Seen some guys mowing the other day, just blowing dust and making tracks. I can only wonder if they will get paid or lose the account.
I'd bet they'll lose that account.