Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nutsedge Control

For all of the newer applicators on this forum that don't know this, June is a great month to control the nutsedge in your customer's lawns.

Because of the dry weather we've had this year, I'm not surprised that I've seen very little of it. What little nutsedge I HAVE seen though, I've been jumping on and knocking out.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

must be nice. it is out in force here.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Sildoc

I'm jealous of all the rain you're getting up there. They're saying we've got a 0% chance of rain in the next 6 days here last I heard.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

this week 0 percent but dosent matter most every one has irrgation. Nice thought to have rain though.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been up and thriving in SC. My neighbor had a real bad patch of green kyliinga--GONE NOW . If anyone needs help--let me know. Sedgehammer is good but there is a much better product.
Roy
Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what are you using.i have used mange
Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
what are you using.i have used mange
Greg: Mange will take the hair right off the dog. Couldn't resist. I know you that you intended manage. Same stuff as "Sedgehammer" Look at some previous post. Another product "Dismiss" is great. Drawback is the cost. 1 oz. will cover 5000 sq ft. at a gal/'K on centipede or .027/K on St. Augustine according to label.
I did some trials on Basagran and Sedgehammer. Sprayed one patch in a vacant lost with just Basagran--marked with with some concrete in a 4 X 4 square, another with Sedgehammer, and yet another with both. Marked off another 10 X 10 area with "Dismiss" Nothing happened after two days in the Basagran and Sedgehammer test but the "Dismiss" spot was turning yellow with brown spots. No rain on neither of the test area. I had to leave for a couple of weeks and checked them. Dismiss area had turned really brown with stubble and the others were still yellowing and browning. I'm just guessing that there was a 90-95% kill on the Dismiss and the Basagram and Sedgehammer combo was going to be similar with a much longer time frame. I'll check them out again this coming weekend and have more results.
Back to the cost of "Dismiss". I read that FMC Corp is going to release a 6oz.bottle as well as the 16oz size which would make it very cost effective.
I'm not sure of this: All three of the trials were leaf absorbents and letting the sedge grow and not mowing it helped. I'd like to know if Root Uptake of the chems was in the formula but can't really tell by the label or formulation--I've got to call the company on that one--I'm lazy.
Manage (Sedgehammer has a 6 hour use cycle. Ric told me that. The "Dismiss" label recommends no sticker as with Sedgehammer. Don't get me wrong--I do like Sedgehammer, and would use it again. All test were spot treated with a handheld sprayer with a few fine droplet on a still day. I think if the leaf uptake theory is right that applying during the evening hours to prevent evaporation would be beneficial.
If you're still awake from reading, good luck. But give the "Dismiss" in the small bottle a try.
Roy
Old 06-13-2007, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Image nutsedge killer works. Takes a month for a complete knockout but it has worked for me.

Works really well in those overwatered landscape beds too.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Greg: Mange will take the hair right off the dog. Couldn't resist. I know you that you intended manage. Same stuff as "Sedgehammer" Look at some previous post. Another product "Dismiss" is great. Drawback is the cost. 1 oz. will cover 5000 sq ft. at a gal/'K on centipede or .027/K on St. Augustine according to label.
I did some trials on Basagran and Sedgehammer. Sprayed one patch in a vacant lost with just Basagran--marked with with some concrete in a 4 X 4 square, another with Sedgehammer, and yet another with both. Marked off another 10 X 10 area with "Dismiss" Nothing happened after two days in the Basagran and Sedgehammer test but the "Dismiss" spot was turning yellow with brown spots. No rain on neither of the test area. I had to leave for a couple of weeks and checked them. Dismiss area had turned really brown with stubble and the others were still yellowing and browning. I'm just guessing that there was a 90-95% kill on the Dismiss and the Basagram and Sedgehammer combo was going to be similar with a much longer time frame. I'll check them out again this coming weekend and have more results.
Back to the cost of "Dismiss". I read that FMC Corp is going to release a 6oz.bottle as well as the 16oz size which would make it very cost effective.
I'm not sure of this: All three of the trials were leaf absorbents and letting the sedge grow and not mowing it helped. I'd like to know if Root Uptake of the chems was in the formula but can't really tell by the label or formulation--I've got to call the company on that one--I'm lazy.
Manage (Sedgehammer has a 6 hour use cycle. Ric told me that. The "Dismiss" label recommends no sticker as with Sedgehammer. Don't get me wrong--I do like Sedgehammer, and would use it again. All test were spot treated with a handheld sprayer with a few fine droplet on a still day. I think if the leaf uptake theory is right that applying during the evening hours to prevent evaporation would be beneficial.
If you're still awake from reading, good luck. But give the "Dismiss" in the small bottle a try.
Roy

tks for cutting me some slack i just woke up when i typed that..i will have to give dismiss a try...tks for the info
Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit28 View Post
Image nutsedge killer works. Takes a month for a complete knockout but it has worked for me.

Works really well in those overwatered landscape beds too.
Did you use the hose-end applicator? I used some a couple of years ago. Liked it but you're right it took a long time. I was going after "Dollarweed"
Roy