Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-29-2000, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone uses the Micron Herbi controlled droplet sprayer. Currently I use a 200 gal. sprayer for weed control and I am beginning to look at other types of sprayers where I don't need to carry all this water around town. Also read a thread a few weeks back mentioning a sprayer which attatched to your spreader. Just posted this thread to see what are your thoughts on these type of low volume sprayers. Have any of you switched from a larger tank sprayer over to these low volume units and are your results equal to the larger volume type sprayers. Thank for your input.<p>Steve
Old 02-29-2000, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve, Herbi has been our only broadcast herbicide applicator since it first came on market in 80s. Only problem is limitation on products to use in it. Will work with most Trimec products, Roundup, and some in Riverdale line. Also some others, but many products will just not work in any CDA application.<p>Herbi made by Micron at &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.micron.co.uk/mherbi.html&quot;&gt;Micron Herbi&lt;/a&gt;<p>If you will be applying any other liquids, this tool will not work. You need especially high volumes of water dealing with fungicides, for instance.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 02-29-2000, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used herbi's. I've used pick-up mount units. I've used 1200 gallon units. I've used the spreader mounted units.<p>Herbi's work alright, but I don't like that ultra low volume. Too much drift and you can hardly see your spray. They're too slow and I don't know that the results are adequate either.<p>We currently use spreader mounted units. They use 4x the water per M than herbi's use and about 4x LESS water than a typical truck mount unit. <p>I've been more than pleased with the results.
Old 03-01-2000, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for your input. I may try one of these this season as a test. Next week I'm attending the Rhode Island trade show-hopefully someone will have an unit on display. I'd like to see the Perma-green unit also. Anyone know anything about the Lawn Doctor spreader/sprayer? Thanks for your replies.<p>Steve
Old 03-03-2000, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to decide based on your size and usage. Lazer was correct if you have dedicated chemical crew. About ten years ago Trugreen tested the Herbi in 5 or 6 districts. They even used the twin head units, and apparently they found them not productive for their situation. It is also a rather delicate tool to be beaten around in a truck.<p>We sell a low pesticide useage, rather high cost (because of labor) program. Most herbicide application is backpack spot treatment. We rarely do broadcast herbicide applications, so a large tank wouldn't be used efficiently. For space consideration, the Herbi is ideal for our use when broadcast is needed. It can be stored in the truck for use when necessary, and there are always a couple gallons of water in the truck. I actually find the Herbi can be used in a breeze that would cancel use of other sprayers, because no drift is the benefit of CDA technology. Breeze will change the appl pattern though.<p>If the anti-chemical fervor is still as active in your area as in the past, the Herbi is much less visible than a truck mounted tank. In fact, it is so unusual, most people don't know what you are doing. That might be a consideration for you. But you probably must consider a drop in production rate to use it.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana