Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Got my Green Guardian today!

I finally received my green Guardian today and will be running trials with it soon. I wanted to start a thread on what people have thought about the product and how it has worked for them. Has anyone had success with it? Any tricks you would like to share? Or did it not perform for you. I know there are other discussion's out there about it, I just wanted to renew the debate.
Let's Begin!!
Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I started using it this spring. The lawns are definitely thick and green. As far as weeds go, on lawns that had a lot of weeds most of the weeds are still there. It is definitely a thicker lawn though. Maybe over time the weeds will be gone.

2003 F250 Super Duty
8611LP Blizzard Plow
810 Blizzard Plow
8' Western
7.5' Meyer
1997 Dodge 2500 Diesel
1994 F250 Diesel
810 Blizzard Plow
X534 John Deere
PGT3000
Toolcat 5600
Kage Plow
Salt Dogg

Too much other stuff and nowhere to put it.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been playing with it as well with decent results. Definitely takes 2 or more visits to get good control of harder to control weeds. I was told to blanket the lawns and then go back over the infested areas with a backpack.

I've also been testing a Lesco gun at 2 gallons per minute as well. Some good results. The weather's going to be in the 90's this week and I'm going to try and spray early morning.

Let me know how the trials go.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is my one week review:
I applied it using a 3 gallon backpack sprayer using a tee-jet 8008 nozzle. the temps were 76 degrees with low humidity. I applied it in several ways. I spot sprayed some weeds and marked off a 1,000 sq ft and sprayed the entire area. I was disappointed in the results within the first 48 hours(g.g. promised results in 24 hours), but I am pleasantly surprised with the results after 1 week. I did notice a lot of leaf curling and it halted flowering on the weeds. Some weeds were not even phased by the application while others are almost dead.
weed results:
dandelions- very good control, only 1 app my be needed!
clover- very slow result, but starting to see some yellowing and no flower production
plantain- good result, leaves browning and curling 2 treatment necessary
chickweed- must love the stuff it did not even phase it
violet- did not even slow it down.

Analysis: I found that spot spraying got better knock down that blanket application. with spot spraying most weeds are dieing but with blanket application some weeds in lawn are not even hurt.
I have not noticed any real green up but it has only been a week

One note: Turn around time from G.G. is slow It took 2.5 weeks to receive the product and was told it was shipped the dayI orderd it. It took some hounding to get the product on the road. Although the staff is very helpful.

I have pics I will post when I get a chance.
Mike
Old 06-30-2007, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of cost per 1000 s.f. is green gaurdian?

A friend told me that the product is reallly gooey, clogs up sprayers(tank sprayers) and goes rancid fast. Are any of these notes true?

I am currently using a mix of fish-emulsion products that work O.K. but there is definetly no weed control.

Also to GG burn grass tips as well????
Old 06-30-2007, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

It is expensive, if you don't buy in quantities it's about $3.00 per 1,000 sq ft. I think you can get it around $ 2.00 per 1,000 if you buy in quantities. As for it going rancid or being gooey I have not seen any of that, butI just got the product 2 weeks ago so it might be fresh.
I have not seen any tip burn from my application, but I applied it in ideal weather conditions.
Mike
Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsd View Post
what kind of cost per 1000 s.f. is green gaurdian?

A friend told me that the product is reallly gooey, clogs up sprayers(tank sprayers) and goes rancid fast. Are any of these notes true?

I am currently using a mix of fish-emulsion products that work O.K. but there is definetly no weed control.

Also to GG burn grass tips as well????
Yes the product is thick. However, I will hazard a wild guess that if it plugged his sprayer he put the product in before the water. If you put the water in first it and run your pump to recirculate as you put it in the product becomes quite like water.

Other than that, if this is not what happened I can speculate that the filter may have been too small. We use a 16 mesh and then have no tip plugging but we do have to clean out that filter every few days or so.

The rancid issue is real. After you mix the product and the temps are in the 80+ range you have a few days to get the product sprayed or the enzymes and microorganisms will break down the product.

Remember this is a very active microbial product that once applied attacks thatch and dead grass clippings whereas you will be able to visually see the vegetation break down quite rapidly.

If the product ever goes bad in your tank you will need to rinse it out into the [sanitary sewer] then refill with water and add a cup of bleach to kill the microbes that are now over active.

If the tank never turns, no real need in cleaning out the tank. We do periodically just as a part of our regular maintenance program.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsoils View Post
Here is my one week review:
I applied it using a 3 gallon backpack sprayer using a tee-jet 8008 nozzle. the temps were 76 degrees with low humidity. I applied it in several ways. I spot sprayed some weeds and marked off a 1,000 sq ft and sprayed the entire area. I was disappointed in the results within the first 48 hours(g.g. promised results in 24 hours), but I am pleasantly surprised with the results after 1 week. I did notice a lot of leaf curling and it halted flowering on the weeds. Some weeds were not even phased by the application while others are almost dead.
weed results:
dandelions- very good control, only 1 app my be needed!
clover- very slow result, but starting to see some yellowing and no flower production
plantain- good result, leaves browning and curling 2 treatment necessary
chickweed- must love the stuff it did not even phase it
violet- did not even slow it down.

Analysis: I found that spot spraying got better knock down that blanket application. with spot spraying most weeds are dieing but with blanket application some weeds in lawn are not even hurt.
I have not noticed any real green up but it has only been a week

One note: Turn around time from G.G. is slow It took 2.5 weeks to receive the product and was told it was shipped the dayI orderd it. It took some hounding to get the product on the road. Although the staff is very helpful.

I have pics I will post when I get a chance.
Mike
While these results seem a bit slow they are still in the right direction. Many weeds require the weed buster program for heavy lawn infestations. This is three applications spaced over a 3 - 4 week time span. It has worked extremely well for our customers.

The shipping issue was a drop on our side along with Fed-x who left it on the dock then it got set aside...well we are watching closely now.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So, I might want to try some of this green gaurdian stuff...... I have about 3 million s.f. of organically managed turf and have had a lot of product issues this past year.

Can you send me some more info, references for companies who are using it, etc...... PM me and i'll send you my adress.

thanks,
Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeah,

what is in the GG that kills weeds???

Also what is the fertilizer ingrediants??