Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-20-2000, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

This may seem like a silly question, but at this time of the year I really wonder what goes on in some mowers minds. I work in the midwest, most yards are bluegrass, I serve approx. 250 accounts for chem., fert., and seed service. Most mower companies here string trim edges (curbs, sidewalks, and driveways) at a 45 degree angle. During the latter part of the summer these edges heat up and start to dieback. Most of them continue to do so after they have killed the grass 6 inches back. Then the weeds start, no matter how much pre-emeregent was laid down the spurge and crabgrass go wild in the heat. When I have asked them to try a more verticle approach they look at me like I am nuts. I just wondered if you guys in other parts of the country use the same approach. I have seen that a lot of you use stick edgers, while I am familiar they have never heard of them. <p>One other thing, on accounts that you mow and someone else does the chem. work, like me, what kind of relationships are forged. Here it is mostly anamosity. I try to be nice and explain a procedure that they are doing things only makes the yard look bad and a different approach might be better. I might as well talk to a wall.<p>Just wondered about how you guys do it. <p>----------<br>thats my 2 cents, <br>mike
Old 07-20-2000, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i string trim all my edges but i edge them on a 90 degree angle. I cant stand the way it looks when people edge them on 45 degree angles. 4-5 of my lawns thats i have gotten in the past couple years have edges 3 inched in from the sidewalk that were cut on a 45 degree angle. I have to contiue to edge them like that becuae the edge is sliced that way.... nothing i can do about it. I am constintly spraying roundup in these wide edges to get rid of the same &quot;crabbgrass and sprurge&quot; even though the lawns get a heavy dose of pre emergent in the begining of the year... its drive me crazy. All of my costomers i have gotten to switch over to me to do all there landscaping and lawn maintenance including treatments. Takes no time at all... when i get a costomer I tell them all my services i can provide and they usually on the spot say &quot;ill call chemlawn in the morning to cancell, they do a horrible job anyway&quot;. using one man for everything is much easier for them. Im glad i do all the treatments for my costomers because i see what hell chemlawn puts other guys through wehn they have to mow grass given heavy doses of nitrogen in the spring when were getting rain every other day. These big treatment companies just throw treatments down &quot;one size fits all&quot;. It dosnt work that way... you have to put down what is needed to have a great lawn!
Old 07-20-2000, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do mine at a 90 degree angle.
Old 07-20-2000, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

i edge most of mine between 90 and 45 the other way, so that the grass slants out over the curb or drive. looks especially good on curbs. some drives and walks sit too high above the turf to slant out like that, so those get a 90. tell the guys to walk on what they're edging, not on the grass.<br>
Old 07-20-2000, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

hey I was just at a burger king today which had this cup shaped edge around the curbs however it was vertically edged around the beds!!at this place the cup edge looked good...however it usually doesnt depends on type and condition of grass some grass can withstand it... only place I do it is on driveways where an 90 degree edge would not form a straigt line and Im just trying to keep the grass back from the pavement
Old 07-20-2000, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

hey I was just at a burger king today which had this cup shaped edge around the curbs however it was vertically edged around the beds!!at this place the cup edge looked good...however it usually doesnt depends on type and condition of grass some grass can withstand it... only place I do it is on driveways where an 90 degree edge would not form a straigt line and Im just trying to keep the grass back from the pavement
Old 07-23-2000, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We taper all our edges between power edgings for nicer appearance, but we would never DREAM of taking them down to where they're burnt! Even close if the weather was heating up and drying off. If one of my employees ever took a curb or edge down like that it would be grounds for immediate dismissal! This is the kind of cobble job that GETS me accounts. I relate that kind of work to the same trimmers who leave rings around trees, fenceposts, and mailboxes. Come on guys, let's leave that to the REAL amateurs! As far as the job that has been like that for a few years but continually fills up with weeds, I think I would invest in a little seed this fall and fix it once and for all. This will make both you AND your job look better. Good luckwith it!
Old 07-23-2000, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Appreciate the replies. I have seeded these areas on a spring and fall schedule for a long time. As far as weeds go I have to spray more often than I should. It is just a more than a little annoying to have to do the extra work. Runner, your comment about rings, I have seen a fence that fell over because of the string trimmer that ate thru the posts! I had warned the owner of this and he said that he had told them but it did no good. I guess I really shouldn't be to upset, even the guy that pays them can't modify their behavior!! Thanks<p>----------<br>thats my 2 cents, <br>mike