Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I would love to see some CIT data on the Rain-Jet heads. The way they slung fat drops (less wind deflection and evaporation) of water over their coverage range, at a fairly low angle, makes any 'Rain Curtain' pattern look like a feeble imitation.
I found this forum while looking for info on Rain-Jet heads. I have 3 in my front lawn, 1 big one (25-30 feet coverage) and 2 small ones. My problem is the first big one lasted about 20 years or more, when it finally broke, it's 2 replacements lasted a year or so each. Now I need to find a head that I can use to replace it, that will match the output of the 2 smaller Rain-Jet heads. I tried one of the rotary heads that puts out a single stream, but that just wasn't enough water. I've been getting by, by making my own head from the Rain-Jet insert from a broken head, and screwing it right into a pvc coupling, but when it goes off late at night, when everything sounds louder, it causes some vibrations that sound like a prop plane revving up I really would like to advoid digging up the lawn, and starting over with a more conventional Champion type system, so is there any kind of head that can replace the big Rain-Jet?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Having worked on 3/4 Rainjet inlet heads as well as many others. ( Their center strip is still the best.) I would go with the Rainbird Rotator on a 4" popup.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Which model? Is it a mult-stream rotor?
Old 06-23-2007, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not exactly a rotor. There are mutiple streams, but fewer moving parts (just the ring on the nozzle as far as I know.)

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/pr...arynozzles.htm

It fits any Rain Bird 1800 body. It's supposed to operate well between 20 and 55 PSI. Rain Bird calls them Rotary Nozzles. Similar to the MP Rotator but in fixed patterns...

I installed them on a bank of mixed ground cover last week, replacing Nelson lawn pop-ups stuck on risers...LOL... put there by a previous contractor.

I also replaced standard 15 ft. nozzles in some 1804s in my front lawn with good results.

Higher pressures make them spin so fast you'll get dizzy watching.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the term "rotator" for this class of nozzle. Have MPs in my yard and they are fine. For customers I find the RB rotator is more visually appealing to them. I think it is the heavier spray (higher precip but still low in my opinion) and the speed they turn.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

greg if I remember right you have the WM smartline with a monitor. What did you set your sprinkler type at for those rotaries? On my MP zone I have it set at .5" per hour. For customers I avoid the number settings and just switch my spray conversions from spray to rotary which I believe defaults to .5" ph anyway. i believe the precip on those RB rotaries is closer to .7"ph.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Fuse Rating on Rainjet RJC four

Hello,

Can any one tell me the fuse rating on the Glass Buss fuse used in the Rainjet RJC Four? My irrigation system was working until the fuse blew and unfortunately I lost the fuse before I could buy another one.

thanks.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
Hello,

Can any one tell me the fuse rating on the Glass Buss fuse used in the Rainjet RJC Four? My irrigation system was working until the fuse blew and unfortunately I lost the fuse before I could buy another one.

thanks.
Just throw a 5 amp'er in there and call it a day.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Water View Post
I have had the good fortune to never run into a rain jet product. Probably because 25 years ago Irrigation was considered a unnecessary luxury in my area.

Still is by some people.
Don't know what your smoking

I see rain Jet often enough to hate it. I'll say I see a rain jet controller 80% more then I'll see any other kind of product.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoskm01 View Post
Just throw a 5 amp'er in there and call it a day.
Maybe start with a 2 amp. If it blows a 2 amp fuse you need to see what is going on. Fuses blow for a reason.