Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
<<< BUMP >>>

Ran into one of these tees this morning. The collar on one leg was split and the whole thing was misaligned due to magnolia roots. The pipe only inserts about 1/4" into the fitting. There's an 'O' ring where the collar tightens and a copper or brass insert that flares out the end of the pipe.
CL 200 PVC
Things were going well with cutting out the root with my reciprocating saw until I slipped and slashed one leg of the pipe. Cutting out a piece of the pipe I was able to make a match with a piece of 3/4 CL 200 PVC. The O.D is pretty darned close. Tried a 3/4" fSCh 40 fitting an it's a nice snug fit. However I am not going to try and use any kind of glue, but look for a compression tee and a couple of compression couplings . I think they will work.
You might do some measuring on a bit of this poly. I know the RainJet poly was 1-inch CTS poly, but this was a long time ago, so it wasn't modern stuff, and the wall thickness is unknown. With a number for the wall thickness, that will allow a calculation to determine if the old poly fits a modern descriptor like SDR-9 or similar, which will make a match-up possible for compression fittings that are SDR-specific.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can post a couple pics, if I can figure out how to get them from iPhone to Lawnsite... but anyway, it's a near perfect fit. Water pressure > 75 PSI static. Not gonna bother with dynamic pressure, but it's high (on the lateral line) and no leaks. More magnolia roots bound to be a problem in the future, but for now water is getting to where it's supposed to.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well I tried. But the mobile version of the website sucks. And when I click on "Full Site" I get a message saying "Invalid Thread".
Old 08-02-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have vernier calipers, you could easily get the wall thickness and pipe diameter, and that could lead to a match with an SDR number.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but the pipes were repaired 8 days ago, and the PVC compression couplers worked perfectly. The 1" Rain Jet pipe O.D. may be a hair thicker than 3/4" SCH 40 PVC, or it could be it was just flared out a little at the end by the brass/copper stiffener. I tried by slipping a 3/4" PVC ell on the end of the pipe and had to wiggle it a bit. Snug is better than loose in my book.

BTW, the fittings I used were made by KBI, or had their mold/ label anyway. But they don't have them on their website. Turns out they sold that division to NDS, which as you mentioned also has Flo. I've always preferred the KBI version of a slip-fix for example, so I hope they don't compromise the KBI designs.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I was only hoping a piece of the original tubing was kept, to provide a number for wall thickness, and hence the SDR number, and hence a means to obtain the part number for the compression fitting made specifically for the CTS poly tubing sold by RainJet - the NDS/Flo Control listings show different fittings for different SDR numbers. Maybe they have an integral stiffener/insert as part of the body of the fitting.

As for the repair itself, I assumed it had been completed awhile ago.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Measuring SDR is about pressure ratings. All I needed on a lateral line was for it to fit well and not leak. The fitting I used is the KBI CPC-750 on page 7 here: http://www.ndspro.com/images/stories...VC_Catalog.pdf
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RainJet poly was so long ago, that it would not be of the resin used today, so it was probably 80 psi NSF poly with a wall thickness equal to today's 100 psi.

Or not.

We will just have to wait another five years for someone to dig up a piece.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I still have a couple of short pieces, but no calipers. And the $10 ones they carry at Home Depot did not get great user reviews.

I have however figured out iCloud for Windows and how it works with Photostream on my iPhone 5. So one of these days I may post comparison pics, with or w/o calipers.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see my plastic Fowler calipers as being available any more, which is too bad. They are very durable. Probably too many not-so-durable import calipers around, like a 3-pack on eBay for less than seven bucks, shipping included.

As long as you don't leave them on your truck dashboard, the plastic cheapies should measure fine. Dials and digital readouts are cool, but not really needed.