Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2007, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

70stang

hello, how did the pto box o/haul/replacement go ??

tomo
Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker gearbox

Still waiting for parts to be ordered. Since I am doing the work myself dealer will place order until he has a order himself.

I cannot find just a case, however I know have everything disassembled.

I opened gear case and everything inside is in "like new condition".
As you said before case is light duty no keying dowels.

I can easily flip the case, wich would put the small hole on top which could be easily migged and sealed with an adhesive type sealer. (we use it on cars in low pressure applications)

In looking at the case the bolt holes are much deeper then the bolts I removed.
I am wondering if the problem was caused by improper size bolts.
The bolts I removed were 5/16-18 x 5/8 long.

With the thickness of the frame that leaves very little bolt holding the box. The box cracked exactly at the end of the bolt.

Was lenght bolts should be holding the gear box?

Also after reading the other notes. I want to say this machine appeared well maintained. All oils clean, new filters, no oil leaks, no fluid leaks.

Paul
Old 06-23-2007, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hello, check with dealer on bolt length , sounds right but then again? There listings will tell u the length etc
As u can imagine i am being alittle cautious being that i cannot actually see the pto box .
I would be cautious welding case as distortion may cause other issues eg make the bearings not sit corectly . Remember not all alloys can be welded well it depends on the material .
Look for discolouration in the in any runing surfaces.Grey colour where the bearings run not good and especially if there is pitting .Silver to very light grey is ok .
Teeth on gears should not have wear u can feel ,no excessive pitting .Tooth profile should not be ^ .Either side of teeth should beslightly rounded .
Check output spline with a new coupling ,if this is worn replace box.
The shaft that sticks out 4 the ghs blower pulley ,the keyway maybe worn out . This wears when there is alot of play in drive to deck components .
The areas where the the seal runs on shaft can have no marks from seal wear . If it does it will only leak prematurely if u do not have them welded and machined smooth
The cases cannot be flipped .[upper or lower]
Repair case if repairable with a alloy suitable putty """'Devcon"""

I am aware j-thomas carries the one for the MT model but you will require part no from dealer 4 the diesel

post a photo if u can of damage

All my info comes from experience with the earlier box but mine has a very very slow leak. [top up once per 3wks ] Looked into late box the very first time i did box around 2000 . I have now ordered the replacement should arrive this week .I ordered the later pulley also .

tomo
Old 06-25-2007, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker Gear box

Thank you for all your help.

I have learned a lot.
The gear box in my tractor is the newer style and I really do not think it has many hours on it. The seals and gears are like new, no metal filings in the case, no wear at all anywhere.

The 2 case halfs are excatly the same. Except for one half has threaded holes for the 8 bolts to screw into.

I put the bottom on the top, and the top on the bottom. Sealed the hole with Por 15 Epoxy putty, and put everything back together, using Permatex RTV gasket maker for a gasket. (factory used the same thing)

I just need my new shafts to themower and I am all set to go. I did install my old shafts and ran it slowly but you can easily see the bend in them when rotating.

I now believe the box was replaced a short time ago and the shafts never checked. The vibration caused the box to lossen up and crack.

The shafts are in stock so I should have them on Wednesday.

I let you know how it runs with the new shafts.

Paul
Old 06-26-2007, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Good deal.

I would bet that the box was replaced due to that bent shaft.