Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2000, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys-<br> just wondering how many others of you out there do pressure washing, & if so, do you charge by the hour or job? I will prob. charge by the job; Wondering how to price usage. My investment is minimal, so I don't really need to charge according to cost of operation as much. Just wondering what the going rates are. I am from Ohio.<br>I got hold of a great deal on one last year, so in addition to keeping MY stuff clean, I'm going to add it to my arsenal of services, which should help out during the slow period of july & august.<br>Any other info, do's & don'ts would be appreciated also. Thanks<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 02-24-2000, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smitty,<p>We're also planning on offering powerwashing (primarily spraying of aluminum siding, soffits, windows, etc...) Our local honda dealer sells pressure washers and the one we're going to get sells for around $1,000.00 CDN. One of our customers had a guy pressurewash her home's siding and windows two years ago and he charged $175. Did it by himself in about 1hr and a 1/4. She's got a side-split with bay window in front and maybe 8-10 more windows in total. Sounds like he was moving pretty fast for one guy to me, but certainly was getting a pretty good buck for his time. Anyhow our pricing isn't finalised yet but we'll probably charge by the job.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
Old 02-24-2000, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't know that much about bidding pressure washing but I did work with a girl that had a pressure washing business with her husband and they charged .15 cents per square foot.<br>Hope this helps some.
Old 02-24-2000, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I pressure washed 2 houses in the last 2 days. Got $100.00 per house. Used a brush that I already had, a ladder that I already had, a bucket that I already had, 4 gallons of cheap bleach .75 cents a gallon and a borrowed 1500psi pressure waher. Took 2.3 hrs on one house and 2.5 on the other. I had 1 helper. I think I will try to find more. I might even buy my own washer.LOL Probably not!!!<p> &quot;CLEANER HOMES BY HOMERS CLEANING&quot;<p>PRETTY CATCHY HUH?<p>HOMER
Old 02-27-2000, 08:19 AM

Hello Everybody:<p>Yes, believe it or not I owned BlassMaster pressure washing too.<p>Here's the URL:http://www.dcs1.com/<br>There is a lot of good info on this site & they have a lot of info on pressure washing pricing & etc.<p>Yes, very good money. I converted all my customers to use my service. I was instant success.<p>To be very good & running the cheaper cold water units get one with 2500psi & up with a min 3 gal. a minute. Remember the more pressure & the more gal. per minute, the lesstime it takes. I think you could find a decent one for $1000.<p>I can be wrong but I had a down stream injector system & I had it set where it would put out a gal. in about 2 to three min. very easy to calibrate(using low pressure soap nozzel). I just checked using a gal. jug full of water every so often. THis setting is for your soap. <p>I tried all kinds & yes clorox was the best. Catch it on sale buy in quanties, put it in large colored plastic container. See through ones, the sunlite will turn it into water in a week or 2. LOL I lost about 35 gal. I learned the hard way!<p>Always put on cleaner going left to right & start at the bottom & go up. Yes, always wet down bushes first with water. Then after applying chem. go back & wet down bushes again, then wash. I never had a problem. If enough pressure you don't need a brush most of time. When blasting off cleaner start at top & go down!<p>What helped me the most was I had 200 ft of hose which was a hassle rolling up, but I soon realized that I was loosing so much time loading & unloading. Moving & rolling around. So I purchased more hose.<p>In most cases the dirtier it was the easier it was to clean.<p>I also made me a extension out of water pipe I cant remember maybe 8 or 10 foot long with quick disconnects. I could easily do 2 story houses with 8 foot ladder & sometimes no ladder.<p>I never made less than 60 a hour(in mid 8o's). I learned soon do not make promisses you can't keep cleaning concrete surfaces. I also stayed away from fleet cleaning. Big money but in most cases had to be done same time every time on a schedule.<p>I never did it but this is something to think about. Find drive throughs at banks, cleaners, fast food & etc. Then price a clean up price & if possible a scheduled cleaning. Like 1 a week or every 2 weeks. If you get it after clean up, put down some sealer, the kind that is like liquid silicone. Then your next trips will be a piece of cake.<p>Think about this one, very easy to get year round maintenance agreements. Don't forget resturant & Dental office entrances. I would ride & look for the gum at front door. Catch new places & get them signed up?<p>BTW Charge them for installation for the sealer. You can charge a pile of money for this! Lots of people pay to have this put on carports, driveways & etc.<p>This service is a excellent add on service to your lawn service business. I never knew about the rotary nozzels they cut your time up to 300% cleaning surfaces.<p>If your brave & like big, big, big money, learn to clean brick & what I mean is just after they been layed. What I mean in most cases is go after new construction. In my area there was no competition on this service & this man I knew made 90K to 100K a year part time. He picked his work & they paid the price!<p>LOL be careful though, several times he wake up & everything in back of truck would be on ground, the muratic acid will eat a hole through metal in nothing flat. You can't play around with it, so know your stuff!<p><p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/<br>
Old 02-28-2000, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info everyone-Does anyone have a preference about what brand of chemicals to use; are there household equivalents like clorox was mentioned, etc.?<br>where can you get liquid silicone?<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-02-2000, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

What is your water source when doing these jobs? Do you hook up to their (customers) outside water connection or do you have a tank?
Old 03-03-2000, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be hooking up to their spigots at their property. This of course would dictate that the price would be cheaper than if I supplied my own water. I would also then have to buy another truck, tank, etc.......... Much easier to use their H2O & charge a little less.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>