Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2000, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

just came back from dealer and he had many lines of OPE and he carries tanaka. whats the scoop on em...lookin at a trimmer.has anybody used the BrAIN cutting head?<p>thanks
Old 03-02-2000, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe so...have 2 of their line trimmers (TBC 2510 w/brain head), 2 handheld blowers, a hedge trimmer and looking at getting the edger this week. Have been using them for 3 years now without a problem! The line trimmers hve awesome power and the brain feed head is good once you get the hang of it. I would highly recommend their products.<p>They have a website at: http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/loadit.html<p>P.S. Match up great with my Scags! Makes a nice look with matching colors. No intent on riling up you anti-Scag people. <br>
Old 03-02-2000, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my hedge trimmers work great, the only problem i have had in 2 years is i tightened the gas cap on a little tight and it broke, no big deal<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 03-02-2000, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like Tanaka products, I don't like the Brain Head.<p>I think it's too complex and you can't adjust the line length you want. MO
Old 03-02-2000, 03:32 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I had a Tanaka about 13 years ago with the Brain. Mine was brain dead, cause it didn't work worth to good. After 3 years, it started falling apart and took for ever to get parts for it. Finally a part on the houseing broke when they tryed to take it apart to fix it and the didn't make that part any more. It went in the Junk Pile. I like the Shindaiwa best of all we have had, which also include Echo and Red Max. We do like the 62 cc Red Max blower. Just my opinion.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 03-02-2000, 10:04 PM

I love Tanaka, I've had one of my string trimmers since 92 and still use it every week, but we did have to buy a new carburater for it about two years ago. The brain heads work okay for us, beats the bump heads anyday. We also have two backpack blowers and they work great, lots of power. Don't know if we have just been lucky or what, but Tanaka has been great for us.<p>
Old 03-02-2000, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My trimmer is in the basement! The brain head is great when it is working right. Usually the thing will send out too much line and drag the power down to nothing. I have hedge trimmers and love them. Stihl trimmers are much more powerful than my Tanakas. If it would work right I would use it everyday, I just can't make it work right.<br>I also broke a gas cap by overtightening or cross-threading.<br>Homer
Old 03-02-2000, 10:19 PM

Try adding an extra shim or two in the brain heads and see if that helps.
Old 03-02-2000, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had a THT 262 hedge trimmer for about 9 years. I haven't used it in a while but I would imagine it would still run. They had plenty of power and cut pretty well, but they are louuuud. They are kind of heavy too. Oh, they must have a real gas cap problem, mine broke too.
Old 03-02-2000, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have a Tanaka weedeater works great.........starts 2nd pull every time. Good power to weight. didnt like the brain, also broke my gas cap and took forever to find one.(my dealer is gone)