Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Winter Work; Holiday lights?

I have heard alot of LCO's doing hanging holiday lights.

Could everyone tell me how they charge (by hr/flat rate/ect.)?
What they do and don't do?
Where you get supplies. (rolls of lights/ect.)

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump!!! it'd be nice to have some more winter income (although we usually do cleanups til like dec 10th)
Old 06-21-2007, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do cleanups right up to Christmas, and if weather permits, some into January.

In Dec, we could slow down on cleanups, and reschedule them for January.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought of doing this last Christmas and never got around to it. I'd love to hear more about how guys charge. Great question!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dental work is profitable

We rent space and do light dentistry. We also offer estate planning, and dabble a bit in jet engine overhauls.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deereequipment View Post
We do cleanups right up to Christmas, and if weather permits, some into January.

In Dec, we could slow down on cleanups, and reschedule them for January.
We start installing well BEFORE cleanups even start and continue take downs until the end of January. So depending on how busy you are and how much labor etc you have to commit to it this may not be for you.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a Christmas franchise back in 2001 called Brite Ideas, Christmas Decor and Holiday Decor and others are out there. If you want to do well at Christmas Lights, you have got to have training, and a very reliable source of products.

The good jobs are those that want products that are unique, and that's one reason to buy a franchise- they have product no one else has. I now buy wholesale from Holiday Bright Lights, they sell to installers at retail, but also sell memberships to get the wholesale prices. they have the best products, And you don't have to buy a franchise up front to get access to product. wreaths, garland, displays, all are top notch.

All the above companies as well as Holiday Bright Lights will also train you how to do this and tell you how to price it for your area.

I'd reccomend you talk to Bruce Lee or Scott Heese at holiday bright lights, you can google it and find their website.

They can also sell you with marketing pieces, such as postcards and newspaper pieces, to help you sell jobs.

Please don't go out and buy walmart lights and charge people to hang them. you will be miserable with repairs and callbacks. there were 7 companies that did that in my area, and all are out of business now. there is no long term money in that. the idea that 300-400 bucks to hang the customers lights is also a loser- they will never buy the good stuff.

we started 7 years ago and have built a Christmas light business that serves 125-150 NICE properties, and we will do over 250k this year from Sept. 15- Feb. 15. 3 crews, lots of fun, but busy. we put up, take down and we store all of our customers lights. That is how you make it work and make money.

good luck.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave,

I'm spread a bit thin between my landscaping campaign and lv lighting business start up, but things get real slow for me by November.

What kind of ballpark cost of entry is there in holiday lighting to do it right, including marketing?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

we started doing lighting for a few of our customers a couple ayears ago, start week before thanksgiving/ take down usually 2nd week in january.
we have a bucket truck so that really helps when your doing big trees. but mojority of work can be done with ladders and pruning poles with saw head removed.
i buy all materials from a local lighting dist. by the pallet we use 100 ct strings ( easier to wrap around trees)
spools whenever we are doing roofs or straight shots.

we also do greenery - christmas trees and wreaths

startup is pretty cheap - ladder is really all you need for the smaller truck rent a tow behind man lift for the bigger jobs.

suggestions:

make sure you have an electrician go over loads if your doing big jobs . sometimes we have a local company run a line from the main to power all the lights and then have them look over everything and give us the go ahead. good idea incase anything happens ( fire...) we usually stay away from c-9 lights for that reason they get so hot and draw so much power.
follow manufacturers suggestion for # light string in row - another cya thing incase something happens nobody can get you for negligence. also makes lights brighter when string has less draw on it.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are there any how to books out there??

How much do these places such as briteideas and Christmas decor charge?
I wonder if there are any of these type companys , or a lighting supplier offering training at a trade show... Hopefully near Charlotte NC..

If anyone has more info on this subject please give... I need this in the winter.

Thanks

Chad