Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2007, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

worth the money

I am looking to buy a new 21 push mower. The ones i am looking at are the honda hrc commercial for 1100, or hrx for 800. Is the commercial honda worth the extra money or would the hrx do fine. I will be using this to mow tight areas and hills i cant mow with the big mower
thanks shawn
Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked on the website; there doen't appear to be a huge difference in construction, but it is always worth it to get the "commercial model" as they are usually built better, and will last longer. There's a reason that the commercial model costs more. How much will you actually be mowing with a trim mower?

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I use the 21 on every job. It mows about 5 full backyards and 10 to 15 hills some very steep and also mow strip between street and walk
thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Honda commercial mowers are good mowers but I would suggest you go with Toro proline commercial mowers they are built tough and will last a very long time and cost less to fix than a Honda if something goes wrong. I have used both mowers over the years but have to give the edge all the way around to Toro
Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

lawnpro724 what model would you reccomend. I had a toro recycler and the wheels are wobbly and the transmission sucks. I have heard the toro with the honda engine is good
thanks
Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The difference is the hrx's have a xenon deck which is a super strong plastic. you may think its junk but I have 2 of these and I hit rocks and all kinds of stuff. the hrc has a steel deck.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

consumer reports.

Dont know if this helps anyone but Consumer reports rated the Honda Hrx there best performing mower. i think the lawnboy was there best buy since its 350.00 but the hrx beat the toro recycler and quite a few others... I usually trust Consumer Reports...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=RhinoL&L;1871760]lawnpro724 what model would you reccomend. I had a toro recycler and the wheels are wobbly and the transmission sucks. I have heard the toro with the honda engine is good
thanks[/QUOT

The Toro recycler is a home owner mower designed for once a week mowing and thats about it, their super recycler is a much better mower but its still a residential mower. I have both the Kaw and honda engines on my proline 21" and they have both been very reliable engines. I like the mower with Kaw engine the best but thats only because it has a 1 gallon gas tank which means less trips to the gas can. Both engines are rock solid and the difference in power isn't noticeable both mowers with either engine will perform well.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea the hrx is a homeowners model also.. just repeating what consumer reports said.. they compare apples with other apples so....
Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I would go with the HONDA HRC216HXA. This is the mower that your were talking about that is 1100. This mower is commercial grade with a hydrostatic transmission. I purchased this mower last season after my snapper went out and absolutely love it. It is worth the extra money in my opinion.