Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2001, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On my month end statement, the cleanups are listed as:
Labor $______ disposal $______
I will add this extra line and no one ever questions it. Usually, we have to pay to dump. And even if you don't, you still spend time driving and unloading.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:33 PM

Basically, I break down the hourly wage for each sub-job. General cleaning = 25.00 to 35.00 per hour (depending on the neighborhood.) Any chores that resemble landscaping are billed at 35.00 to 45.00 per hour. Mulching labor is 22.50 per yard providing I sell the mulch too. Hauling is 40.00 per ton or fraction thereof.

I don't give them an hourly wage summary but a bottomline figure excluding hauling. Most of 'em pay it, thank God.

Old 08-26-2001, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

$75 per a man hour leaf removal and cub side vac

$55 per man hour other clean up

LGF:blob1:
Old 08-26-2001, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i hate fall cleanups! seems i can never charge enough. my worst cleanup is a property with oaks, alot of leaves, back yard that is landscaped with all stone, built in pool, etc. this is mainly all blowing and hand picking. it takes us(2 men) about 6 hrs to clean, plus 2 truck loads of leaves which i take to the dump and pay $15 per truck to dispose of. what should i get for a cleanup like this? for what i charge it just isnt worth it, but will they pay what it is worth? i seem to take a beating every fall.
Old 08-26-2001, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Re: fall clean up what are the normal fee for this service

Quote:
Originally posted by ozman
how much I should be charging for this service
How much is your hourly rate for ANY service you perform?? It shouldn't fluxuate too much, and it should NEVER go down, so whatever you need to make per hour is what you charge. I'm not getting into the whole "figure out your overhead" thing because I've done it here a bunch of times already. You need to make a certain amount per hour to cover expenses, pay yourself X amount of dollars an hour, AND (always forgotten) make the business X amount of dollars an hour.

You have to figure it out for yourself.
Old 08-26-2001, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby,Id charge 600+disposal fees,for that job you mentioned,without seeing it.If its beating you up,you must be working it too cheap,id rather not do it,than work for nothing.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ John about $600,we don't have fees on clippings + leaves but i would charge time to go to dump. I've had plenty of cleanups that were way under bid, if there just the cleanup customer, tell them you were off here' s the new price either they take it or somebody else will do it. If they're a good lawn customer you want to keep tell them thr price you need,like 600 for this one let's say your getting 400 tell them your going to increase over 2-3 yr period to get your price, this has worked well for me w/ cleanups + mowing.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i know what u r saying, its worth every nickle of $600. ive only been charging like half that, i dont want to do it anymore,but dont want to lose the cutting, shrub trimming, mulch, fert, etc that i do for them . seems i can only get customers to pay a certain amount for leaves, so ive been trying to kind of "hide" the cost. like after oct 15th, we go every 2 weeks and blow out beds and suck up leaves for double the cut fee. at the end of november we do a "big" cleanup, for say 2-300. it still dont seem worth it to me. i know if i said i need 6 bills to clean the leaves, she would get someone else. we do have leaf jobs that we make out on, but the larger ones never pay enough. oh well, good luck oz
Old 08-26-2001, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby,i would only do it for 300,if she signed a 3 yr full servcie contract,and paid monthy.This way you could control everything,and skip a few cuts in the summer drought,and the higher maintance in the fall would even out,you still get paid all year.I couldnt do a job like that,per cleaning,or one time,there is to much other profitable work out there to work for 1/2 price.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

u r soooo right. so, u think i should get her on a 12 month payment schedule? or a 10month, or what? i have to do something, i dont want to lose her business, i have 4 of her neighbors too. and would u still incorporate the $300 fee in for fall cu, or raise it and "sneak" it in ? thanks