Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor1 View Post
LwnmwrMan22 Thanks for the info. How does the redesigned trans. perform compared to the old ZD's? What did you pay for the new Kubota?

"i demoed the same mower it was great but bumpy ride thinking of ferris 5001 instead" 2 clowns

Funny, we used to call our orange ZD 21 the basketball, because it looked and rode like one.
I paid $12,200, like most others here. This spring there was a $500 "loyalty" rebate floating around in Kubota Country magazine, that if you got that, there was a coupon in it.

So far, the transmissions SEEM to be better, they're much quicker in the response, as well quicker with speed.

My old ZD 28's, there were times that I would be on a hill, and you'd turn and the mower would just sit there, bog down, and not move. It seemed as though you would "pin" the mower to the hill.

So far I've not had that happen.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Might try swapping rear tires on your kubota...if that big wide stanced machine is slipping on hills and tearing turf when trying to stop then you need more traction. Bar lug type treads would probably be best IMO.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883 View Post
Might try swapping rear tires on your kubota...if that big wide stanced machine is slipping on hills and tearing turf when trying to stop then you need more traction. Bar lug type treads would probably be best IMO.
I agree that it needs more traction.

I disagree with the bar type tires though, because it's going to leave "tractor" imprints in the turf, especially if it's wet out.

This is the main reason that I want to try out a 60" deck-model.

Again, this is my first 72" deck on a mower, so I'd like to get back to something that I'm used to, so I can see if the weight of the deck is throwing everything off, or if even with a 60" deck the machine is going to be hard to keep from tearing turf.

If you're going full speed with this mower, you can put it into a power slide across a yard. Most people here know what a power slide is, where you're still pretty much going forward, but turning at the same time. There's times where the backend will just slide across the grass, even without tearing turf.

Also, I don't REALLY want to get into trial and error with tires, since it'll be about $150-200+ / set, and if I don't like them, what good is that?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post

If you're going full speed with this mower, you can put it into a power slide across a yard. Most people here know what a power slide is, where you're still pretty much going forward, but turning at the same time. There's times where the backend will just slide across the grass, even without tearing turf.
This traction issue your having is the same thing a buddy of mine had with a 72" XS Lazer.

The manufacturers got the weight distribution all wrong. You need less weight on the front casters and more on the rear.

Manufacturers keep stretching these ZTR's out and try to fit things here and there and loose the concern that a ZTR needs to be able to do a slight wheelie going up a hill.

With my old LCooled Lazer, it had 3 stacks of weight on the front. I took two of those three off and it made all the difference in the world.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the ZD33160 & it tears grass up mainly with the front tires even when it is dry if you don,t bachup & turn just right the front wheels tear the grass up. also it is hard to keep from tearing grass on slopes when it is wet & it don,t haveto be verry wet
Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
This traction issue your having is the same thing a buddy of mine had with a 72" XS Lazer.

The manufacturers got the weight distribution all wrong. You need less weight on the front casters and more on the rear.

Manufacturers keep stretching these ZTR's out and try to fit things here and there and loose the concern that a ZTR needs to be able to do a slight wheelie going up a hill.

With my old LCooled Lazer, it had 3 stacks of weight on the front. I took two of those three off and it made all the difference in the world.
I agree. The best mower I've ever had for hills / traction, is the Ferris IS4000.

If you looked at it from the side, practically everything that the mower had was from the control handles back. It looked like 80-85% of the weight of the machine was located there, including the deck.

This is where I'm wondering if when you get to this size of deck, they have to stretch the machine out far enough just to get the deck under the mower, that they lose the balance.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaith View Post
I have the ZD33160 & it tears grass up mainly with the front tires even when it is dry if you don,t bachup & turn just right the front wheels tear the grass up. also it is hard to keep from tearing grass on slopes when it is wet & it don,t haveto be verry wet
Does Kubota still use a ribbed tire on the front? They should be smooth, right.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

they use ribed tires mine are the flat free mabe the tube type ones donot do
it as bad
Old 06-27-2007, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
they use ribed tires mine are the flat free mabe the tube type ones donot do
it as bad
How do you manage to rip the grass with the front tires? Never had that happen before, maybe yours is four wheel drive
Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I have the same tires but have'nt had a problem with them. Either you have the new and yet undiscovered 4 wheel drive or ya need to lube those caster like NOW!