Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

May be somthing a mater with my front wheels it is not 4 wheel drive it is manely left front i am just a home owner that want a big pice of euq.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaith View Post
May be somthing a mater with my front wheels it is not 4 wheel drive it is manely left front i am just a home owner that want a big pice of euq.
Jack the deck up like you were going to change blades and see if the wheel turns freely. If not, lube it and spin the spindle till its free. If that doesn't correct the problem, contact the dealer and get it fixed. Those front tires should never scalp the turf.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
I agree. The best mower I've ever had for hills / traction, is the Ferris IS4000.

If you looked at it from the side, practically everything that the mower had was from the control handles back. It looked like 80-85% of the weight of the machine was located there, including the deck.

This is where I'm wondering if when you get to this size of deck, they have to stretch the machine out far enough just to get the deck under the mower, that they lose the balance.
No... Kubota just missed the boat on balancing this machine out properly.

Many 72" mowers are the best on slopes in the entire lineup with some brands.

That 72" Kubota is just long and front heavy.
You could try adding a counter weight to the rear of the machine and loading the tires.
But as I understand it, these machines are already extremely heavy... so...

For kicks, I'd like for you to take out a Grasshopper 428D/72 or a Scag Sabre Tooth Tiger.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

my brother has the 326 w/ 60" deck, I used it for a day and almost tore every turn. and I'm used to v-trad tires on my grasshopper. Since they are 26's, you should look at the ultra trac 26-13-12 or 26x14x12, those will fit on 12" rims and widen your stance, and have less agressive tread and come in 4 or 6-ply. they are run on lots of golf course equipment and tear less.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Envy Lawn Service;1878901]No... Kubota just missed the boat on balancing this machine out properly.

Many 72" mowers are the best on slopes in the entire lineup with some brands.

That 72" Kubota is just long and front heavy.
You could try adding a counter weight to the rear of the machine and loading the tires.
But as I understand it, these machines are already extremely heavy... so...

For kicks, I'd like for you to take out a Grasshopper 428D/72 or a Scag Sabre Tooth Tiger.[/QUOTE]

There are no dealers for either of these machines within 50 miles of me. I have a hard time buying something without close dealer support.

I suppose it would be nice to try it out though, just to see how they compare, since I've never owned a 72" machine.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
my brother has the 326 w/ 60" deck, I used it for a day and almost tore every turn. and I'm used to v-trad tires on my grasshopper. Since they are 26's, you should look at the ultra trac 26-13-12 or 26x14x12, those will fit on 12" rims and widen your stance, and have less agressive tread and come in 4 or 6-ply. they are run on lots of golf course equipment and tear less.
Yes, I've run those tires before on a different machine, my Toro that I had a period ago.

By biggest concern, if I get something with an even less agressive tread, that it'll be almost impossible to have this machine on any sort of hillside at all, that it will just slide.

Like I said previously, I'd hate to put $300 +/- into a set of these tires, use them for about 20' on a hill and realize they don't hold at all, and be stuck with them.

I suppose I could just get used to using the 60" for all the hills, even if it means either loading everything back up, driving 1/4 mile, unloading everything in the trailer to get to the 60" or driving 1/4 mile back to the trailer, getting the 60" out, driving back, doing the hill, then driving back to the trailer.

There's just a couple of situations where it turns out this is the way things fall, guess I COULD just learn to live with it????
Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed the 326 -60 and it never tore turf at all.

Tim
Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
It certainly does'nt do it on its own. I think every Z does it from time to time. Its just their nature to respond to operator, equipment, and environmental conditions. I expect a certain amount of slippage and tearing based on how hard I push the machine. Actually, now that I think about it, I slipped more while using the weedeater cutting some of my hills. The only thing that holds better on my hills is my 4 wheel drive tractor with filled tires but man does it tear up the turf when I turn. Its a balancing act I guess.

The Kubota 326P (60") was the best on I demo'ed on my property. The others weren't even close to the 326 overall performance.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Another concern that should be addressed is the roll bar situation.

90% of us are going to be running with the roll bar folded down. What stinks is that you have to then lift the roll bar in order to open the hood, it won't open if it's folded down.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

.... So, the roll bar is NOT the same on the ZD 331 as on the ZD 28! At least on the ZD 28 you can open the hood with the roll bar folded. What a Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwnmwrMan22 View Post
Another concern that should be addressed is the roll bar situation.

90% of us are going to be running with the roll bar folded down. What stinks is that you have to then lift the roll bar in order to open the hood, it won't open if it's folded down.