Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2001, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is anyone guaranteed to be paid for 'X' amount of cuts?

I know a lot of LCOs were hit hard with drought conditions this year and in years past.

What do you do if it doesn't need to be cut for weeks on end? Even if you do some hedge trimming instead... it would only fill a small void if the lawn is dormant for 4-8 weeks...

Does anyone have in thier contract that they are guaranteed to be paid for 28 cuts regardless?

How do you word it in your contract?

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 08-25-2001, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a minimum of 24 cuts,and i dont come every week in the drought.I skipped 3 weeks this july,and the only thing growing was were weeds,they were about 1-2 ft tall by then.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We offer two choices for Mowing in our Agreements that works out to 28 or 32 cuts that they will pay for divided into 8 monthly installments.

We offer a Bagged Cutting Service (32 cut) for $x amount of dollars. If its $40/cut it would say Mowing = $1280 season/ $160 month.

We offer a Clippings To Be Dispersed (28 cuts) for $x amount of dollars. If its $30/cut it would say Mowing = $840 season/ $105 month.

During the drier times if we are only cutting every 3-4 weeks we will stop by every other to at least trim and edge the beds and walks where the grass will still run rampant.

If it normally takes us 45 minutes to mow the account during the growing season, we will allocate the same amount of time for weeding the beds etc. even though we are not cutting.

We always try to at least make an appearance, this way our presence is known and they dont feel they are being "ripped off" by paying for something they are not getting.

We have also been able to get other work thrown at us because they know that we are putting forth the extra effort even though we are not cutting. Sort of a one hand washes the other thing.

Kris
Old 08-25-2001, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My customers are contracted for 26 weekly cuts. Whether it grows or not, they pay. Of course there is no way the times skipped would ever catch up to all the double and triple cuttings that go on in the spring when it grows 2 inches a day. I only skipped a few this year with the drought we had. I always gave the customer the option to have me cut or not. I recommended not some weeks but they just gotta get their moneys worth. They don't seem to think it's a big deal when I'm there twice as long in spring. I don't see any of them offering me any extra money because it grows so fast. But they sure want it cut when I'm blowing brown dust around in circles. Whatever!
Old 08-26-2001, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'am wanting to try to include this with my mowing agreemnets for next year. My gut feeling is my clients will freakout,I'm still in the beginning stages of getting this all ready for next year.My other thinking for next year is some diff payment options(monthly,weekly,bi-weekly).Any ideas?????
Old 08-27-2001, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Weekly billing and bi-monthly billing options will create more paperwork than is necessary.

I wouldnt suggest weekly unless all of your clients are just sticking the $5s/$10s/$20s in an envelope for you each morning you are scheduled to show up.

I prefer "Seasonal" billing from the pre-pays, but monthly is one of the most common for legitimate businesses.

Kris
Old 08-28-2001, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my contract, I use the wording, "Service Calls" instead of "mowings".
Then I can substitute in other services, if I don't mow.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 08-28-2001, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I charge by the month to be paid 12 months a year regardless of weather or number of cuts. It might not work as well outside of Florida, but I do not have any problem with it here. Sometimes in winter I may go for 4 - 6 weeks without cutting.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The mowing is done "as needed" in my setup. If it is growing really fast, I will cut it every 4-5 days. And I do for most in the spring. I did lose a ton of potential income this summer with the lack of mowing, but when I look back at the $$$ put in the bank april thru june, it evens out nicely.
I try to avoid the term "weekly" service. In the wet spring, the grass may need 4" cut off after 7 days. Then I am stuck with double cutting or hauling 1500 lbs of grass every day.
People know that it needs to be cut 2x a week. They don't want to do it. So we do. But we need to be paid for what we do. I was able to trim hedges on many properties during the summer and I did not run over 1 dormant lawn.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:57 AM
Millenium Member

I have in my contract 34 up to 34 mowings. If during drought the grass stops growing due to lack of irrigation I convert to a 12-14 day schedule.

The way I look at it if they want me to mow it every week they need to be watering it.