Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2007, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

advertisement ect...

Hey guys I am almost certain I could've searched and found an answer to this but I am not in the mood and wnat my very own. My self along with a friend/co worker now are going to attempt a little work on our own for the next spring season. we both just need a little money but the more the merrier I guess. What my question(s) is. we are in massachusetts How many business cards should I do up,flyers,and should I run some news paper ads? also we'll be starting basically everyday at about 3:30 pm once we can accumulate some clientel do customers frown upon that arrival time? like i mentioned we both work full time. as far as equipment goes we're in a very good situation where all we need is a trailer we have a bunch of trimmers, a couple blowers,2 push mowers and 3 bobcat z mowers. the place we work at is a cemetary and he's a foreman so we really dont have to buy much equipment. also how early is too early to start or advertising and trying to round up customers? also on my flyers is it professional to offer strom cleanups along with spring cleanups? I have been searching the phone book for landscaping ads and haven't really seen anyone listing it. but around here the're often alot of down trees and all that. Basically i j/ need to know when to get the ball rolling and how many flyers to put up and how many business cards ot do up should we run a paper ad and that thanks boys
Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Usually a flyer will bring you 2% return on calls and maybe 1% actual accounts. So if you distribute 1000, 20 will call and you might land 10 accounts. Maybe less depending on the conditions and area.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4
4x8 steel trailer
48" Bunton Hydro
36" Better Quick Super duty
21" toro self pace
21" husky beater
Homelite blower
Weedeater Str8 Shaft
Trim n Edge
2 hp briggs w/b edger
Homelite Hedge Trimmer
other crap

"I'd rather have one customer 1000 times, than 1000 customers 1 time!"
Old 06-27-2007, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Member

hey thanks for the knowledge. That helps because if we only had 500 flyers ya know that'd suck but hey do you have any other advertisement ideas i could possibly have put together? thanks
Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Meadows,
Do you blitz every house in the sub-division or just do random selection when passing out flyers/door hangers?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

allways found that newspaper ads work better.

some people leave there newspaper laying around for weeks, well they still have the ad, most of my research shows that people get a flyer and look at it, and decide right then, they toss it, or put it aside, to call at a later date.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-27-2007, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Bohiaa,
What type of ad do you run? Just a classifed ad in the lawn care/landscape section or do you run an actual ad in the Service directory?
Also what size and how much does it usually cost you. I got some really high quotes.

Thanks
JK