Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2001, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

does anyone do home haliday decorations?

i would like to know if anyone is doing home holiday decorating?
it's suppose to be a real money maker, especially during christmas. i want to get into it this year, but i want to know how other companies charge, if they store the decorations for the customers, or if they buy new each year. it's getting closer, so someone out there please help me out. without saying post it on the lawn care, did, recieved one kick back and he said he would like to know also.
thanks to all that throw in input.
bob
Old 08-26-2001, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a little bit of research about this myself, and it appears to only be a money maker for the people selling the franchises. For the one I was looking into, $15K buys you a territory outside which you can't operate, an instruction book and the use of their light maker.

I think I could probably do better buying lights on my own and not being tied to a specific geography.

I know of someone else who found it to be a bust as well, and they went through the whole thing.
Old 08-26-2001, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

i wasn't referring to buy into a distributorship, i meant contacting the decoration companies and getting price lists, then going for the customers. i know its a money maker, there is a guy in st louis that had been doing it for several years, and he has over 1500 customers, but could you imagine calling him and trying to get answers,
i wanted to know how they charged, by the hour, by the strand and decoration, which would include installation and take down and a nominal fee for storage.
some one out there has to have some idea, it's been done and still being done.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Christmas lights?

I told myself last year that I was going to get into this. I had forgot all about it until now that I have read your post. If you find any information I would like to know also. I did very little research last year and found nothing. I would think there would just be a monthly fee for what you are doing. The hanging and taking down would all be included in that. You might be able to offer, at an additional charage of course, insurance for the decorations. I would guess that you would want to store them in the case that they would not want it done the following year. I would try calling someone in your home town and get estimates on doing your own home. I am very curious to learn more on this subject.