Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
grass disaster's Avatar
grass disaster grass disaster is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny minnesota
Posts: 2,442
car starting problem HELP ASSSAPP loosing fuel pressure

1996 cutlass supreme sl

3.1 liter


having problems starting, runs good once started.

hooked up to fuel pressure gage.

turn key has good pressure when fuel pump activates(goes up to 40). as soon as i hear the fuel pump stop it drops pressure, goes to about 5 - 0 psi.

why am i loosing pressure?? it has pressure once it starts about 35 psi

p.s fuel pump was replaced little over 1 year ago
__________________
Lawn Service Lonsdale
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,522
If it pumps 40 lbs. when you turn the key on do you wait for the pump to stop before you turn the key to crank it up ?

Have you checked for any fuel leaks possibly around the fuel filter or any steel lines ?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 PM
grass disaster's Avatar
grass disaster grass disaster is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny minnesota
Posts: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
If it pumps 40 lbs. when you turn the key on do you wait for the pump to stop before you turn the key to crank it up ?

Have you checked for any fuel leaks possibly around the fuel filter or any steel lines ?
i didn't see any leaks

if i time it right to crank it just before the pump stops it will start, if i try crank it right away or wait 2 sec after it stops pumping it won't start cause it has no pressure.
__________________
Lawn Service Lonsdale
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,522
Does your fuel rails look like these;




If so (my manual only goes to 95) then it may be possible the fuel regulator #7 is acting up, But remember I've been out the biz for some time now and just throwing things.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 AM
grass disaster's Avatar
grass disaster grass disaster is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny minnesota
Posts: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Does your fuel rails look like these;




If so (my manual only goes to 95) then it may be possible the fuel regulator #7 is acting up, But remember I've been out the biz for some time now and just throwing things.
well here is a picture of it.

it starts fine when motor it is cold

i thought i had the fuel regulator replaced but it doesn't look very new??
Attached Images
 
__________________
Lawn Service Lonsdale
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,522
Yeah, It does look like that ones been on there a little while. You may check that plastic line and make sure it's not broken anywhere (out of sight). You may be able to put a short piece of vac. hose on the regulator and suck on it to see if it's holding a vacuum if you don't have a Mighty-Vac tester.

Also, By the looks of that engine the under side of the body must have rust on it also. I have replaced quite of few rusted brake lines on northern cars, The brake lines and fuel lines are run together under the body. The coils wrapped around the brake lines would transfer the fluid down the line instead of dripping on the floor.

I'm just saying, Check the fuel line closely for any wet looking areas because it could have a small pin hole and evaporating before showing a puddle on the floor.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2007, 02:56 PM
grass disaster's Avatar
grass disaster grass disaster is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny minnesota
Posts: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Yeah, It does look like that ones been on there a little while. You may check that plastic line and make sure it's not broken anywhere (out of sight). You may be able to put a short piece of vac. hose on the regulator and suck on it to see if it's holding a vacuum if you don't have a Mighty-Vac tester.

Also, By the looks of that engine the under side of the body must have rust on it also. I have replaced quite of few rusted brake lines on northern cars, The brake lines and fuel lines are run together under the body. The coils wrapped around the brake lines would transfer the fluid down the line instead of dripping on the floor.

I'm just saying, Check the fuel line closely for any wet looking areas because it could have a small pin hole and evaporating before showing a puddle on the floor.

but if it's a leak i would think it would have a hard time starting when the motor is hot and cold.
__________________
Lawn Service Lonsdale
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
Bill Kapaun Bill Kapaun is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, Orygun
Posts: 759
I can't speak specifically for GM, but-
Does this FI system have a return line to the tank?
IF so, there should be a pressure relief valve somewhere in the system that maintains pressure on the fuel rails, but allows excess fuel to recirculate back to the tank. It's probably part of the fuel pressure modulator.
I would expect your problem to be there.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-17-2007, 06:14 PM
grass disaster's Avatar
grass disaster grass disaster is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny minnesota
Posts: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
I can't speak specifically for GM, but-
Does this FI system have a return line to the tank?
IF so, there should be a pressure relief valve somewhere in the system that maintains pressure on the fuel rails, but allows excess fuel to recirculate back to the tank. It's probably part of the fuel pressure modulator.
I would expect your problem to be there.

is fuel pressure modular the same as the fuel regulator?

what you said would make the most sense i just need to know where or what part does this.
__________________
Lawn Service Lonsdale
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
Bill Kapaun Bill Kapaun is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, Orygun
Posts: 759
Yes- I meant to say regulator

As I mentioned, I'm not very well versed in what you have. Look where a return line goes back to the tank.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.

Page generated in 0.11225 seconds with 10 queries