Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2007, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Ultimate Home Made Lawn Striper

Hey Guys,

Been looking to build a home made lawn striper for some time now....Been reading all the previous posts and looked at some commercial versions. Here is my home made version...Looks very similar to a commercial one that I saw...Big League Lawns. However, I saved $'s by building it myself and had fun doing it! I built mine under $150 including drill bits that I needed for the project. If you have access to some old boat trailer rollers you build it for a lot less...I've seen the chains and rubber strip stripers but I like the roller version the best. My roller assemble is pretty heavy (approx 50 lbs) which really does a good job bending the grass over without hurting it. I like the individual rollers vs. a single roller because when you make sharp turns the outer roller are able to spin faster and follow the mover perfectly. This design is super flexible....It can be adjusted to fit any mower...push, walk-behind, tractor or commercial zero turn...For my Exmark Metro I did not have to drill any holes, I used the pre-drilled holes that were already there...

* Rollers are boat trailer rollers - 5" high X 3" wide X 5/8" diameter bushings
* Shaft is 5/8" cold rolled steel
* End caps - 5/8" for the ends of the steel shaft
* Frame is made out of 2 pieces of Superstrut bolted together (can be found at Home Depot or any electrical supply house)
* Lower "L" brackets for the wheels 4" X 1 1/2" (I found some Superstrut brackets that worked perfectly)
* Upper "L" brackets to attach to the mower 10" X 8"
* PVC pipe 1/2" cut into small pieces for spacers between the wheels
* 1/2" Bolts for all "L" bracket connections
* 1/2" Superstrut nuts that slide in the channels. You could also use a 1/2" nut with a large washer if you can't find the right Superstrut nuts.
* 5/8" Washers needed on one side of every wheel...the 1/2" PVC pipe is the same size as the wheel bushing and pushes the bushing out. The washer prevents this from happening.
* Shoulder bolts to connect the "L" bracket to the mower deck.
* Set screw bushings to keep the "L" bracket away from rubbing against the mower deck.

This roller assembly makes great stripes....Let me know if you have any questions!

Here are some pictures of the roller assembly....
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2007, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's pretty slick! I thought you were posting pics of the Big League striper! Best homegrown striper I've seen.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's about almost a replica of the current Big League Lawn roller.
That's what they use... boat rollers....

Anyways, I'm actually more curious about the sulky.
What brand is that one?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 07-01-2007, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

The sulky is a Mower swivel wheel sulky. You can get a scratch and dent version (like the one in the pic) for $199 from Havener Enterprises....Works awesome! Here is the link.
http://shopnow.secureonlinecart.com/...016&affiliate=
Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very nice and tight. I'd like to see some pics of the striper's finished product. Does it dig ruts while zturning? Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

With the dual swivel wheel sulky I can do a zero turn with the roller assembly on the grass...the rollers just slide and don't dig in...no problem. On the pavement you can do the same thing but I try to take a little wider turn so that I don't wear out the rollers. I'll get some pictures of the stripes tomorrow and post them tomorrow night
Old 07-01-2007, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Pictures

Here are some pictures of the stripes...not the greatest pics since I had to put down some insect control after I mowed and put wheel marks from the spreader. I will submit some better ones next time I cut the lawn.... Have fun!
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very nice...How many times has that lawn been cut with your current setup? I also think that it may be a good idea to circle the lawn first...then do your stripes. They'll look better if you do it that way. But, again, very nice. I'm seriously considering doing this setup on my super z. It has the deck mounted striper now...it does alright; but, I can't stand the way burms and dips pop the deck up. I'll have to make it retractable, though. Come to think of it, I'll probably just use my striping roller and mount it to the back of the z.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am surprised the velke tires don't negate or interfere with the stripe (maybe cause they are about the same size of the rollers). Then again, I have never understood why some LCO's get all in a lather over the stripes they leave...99.999% of your customers could care less, see them, or understand how they got there.

Oh well, to each their own...
Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather View Post
I am surprised the velke tires don't negate or interfere with the stripe (maybe cause they are about the same size of the rollers). Then again, I have never understood why some LCO's get all in a lather over the stripes they leave...99.999% of your customers could care less, see them, or understand how they got there.

Oh well, to each their own...
Call me the stupid new guy on LS here, but I also have wondered why people give two $hits about mechanical striping like that, or even worse why people would actually buy something to do it when as rodfather said most people will never care. I'm sorry to come off all high and mighty, but to me there are many more important things to do.

---^v---^v---^v---^v---

"For your yard emergencies!"