Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

How about a pricelist and total? Looks like Basspro has the rollers for ~$30 for a set of 5.

Last edited by gulfstreme; 07-20-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I made one too

OK, based entirely on MJR_63's design (and I guess big league lawns) and his inspiration, I built one too. Its basically exactly the same except for a few minor differences. One, I could not find a 5/8 rod longer than 3 feet long, so I welded two together and cut it down. Two, I used hitch clips to attach it so I could take it on and off quickly. Oh and three, I couldn't find the brackets, so I welded my own out of 1/4 x 1 1/2 stock.

I haven't got around to painting it yet, as I wanted to be sure the design was working ok. Overall it works pretty well, and it stripes much better than the Ferris flap. Not sure how long it will hold up over time though as it seems to kind of drag a bit on sharp turns. There may be extra wear on the outside rollers. Cheap enough to replace though. There does not seem to be any adverse affect to the lawn on sharp turns.

And last but not least a picture of some stripes on my crappy lawn with the new roller. Just moved in so I have some work to do

Thanks to MJR_63 for his initial post and inspiring me to build one!
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice job MowMeDown! Looks great! I like your improvement to my initial design with the addition of the hitch clips. Where did you find them? Enjoy!

Mark
Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks MJR_63. Actually they are 1/2" bolts with the head cut off. I ran a nut up to the end of the threads. Then a washer. Put that through the hole in the mower frame, then another washer and nut and tightened it down. On the outside is another washer, then the bracket from the roller, another washer and I drilled a small hole crosswise through the bolt to accept the hitch clip. The hitchclip itself I got from Home Depot from the drawers.

- Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2007, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For anyone else who is considering building one of these...

The striper only needs to be the width of the inside of the rear tires. The rear tires roll the grass over better than the roller does to begin with and making the striper wider than the inside of the rear tires is pointless.

If you look at the above pics you can still see where the rear tires track.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Some additional info to consider if you are going to build one of these....

You first need to determine how many inches you typically overlap your previous cut with your deck prior to determining the width you want to make your rollers. To create wide vibrant stripes you should attempt to limit the amount of overlap to 2" - 4". Using this formula you should use a roller width that is approximately 4" - 8" smaller than the size of your mower deck. For the "Z" type mowers the rear wheels are almost the same width as the deck but for some of the walk behind units the deck goes way beyond the width of the rear tires (e.g. Exmark walkbehind mowers). On my Exmark Metro the distance from the one rear tire to the other tire (outside to outside dimension) is 35". My deck is 48". If I want no gap between my stripes then I would need to overlap my previous pass by at least 10" if I made the unit the width of my rear tires. I would rather see some minor tire marks in my strip vs. having to overlap my previous pass by 10"....So it really depends on your mower and how much you overlap your previous pass.

Also, you want to make sure you don't re-roll the previous pass otherwise the grass stand up and not lay down properly.

Mark
Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMeDown View Post
OK, based entirely on MJR_63's design (and I guess big league lawns) and his inspiration, I built one too. Its basically exactly the same except for a few minor differences. One, I could not find a 5/8 rod longer than 3 feet long, so I welded two together and cut it down. Two, I used hitch clips to attach it so I could take it on and off quickly. Oh and three, I couldn't find the brackets, so I welded my own out of 1/4 x 1 1/2 stock.

I haven't got around to painting it yet, as I wanted to be sure the design was working ok. Overall it works pretty well, and it stripes much better than the Ferris flap. Not sure how long it will hold up over time though as it seems to kind of drag a bit on sharp turns. There may be extra wear on the outside rollers. Cheap enough to replace though. There does not seem to be any adverse affect to the lawn on sharp turns.

And last but not least a picture of some stripes on my crappy lawn with the new roller. Just moved in so I have some work to do

Thanks to MJR_63 for his initial post and inspiring me to build one!
There is no way I can use this type of striper on my accounts, I have lots of tight landscaped lawns with tree and sprinkler, it will snag something sooner or later. great ideas but I can use them.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTR999
There is no way I can use this type of striper on my accounts, I have lots of tight landscaped lawns with tree and sprinkler, it will snag something sooner or later. great ideas but I can use them.
If you build the striper the width that I stated above you won't snag anything.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Ultimate Home Made Lawn Striper

Well here is mine. Looks like momedown beat me to it in building a duplicate of the MJR_63 striper.
I have to give KUDOS to MJR_63 for answering all of my PM's on this one.
Here are pics:

My lawn is dry right now so I hope it will stripe better when we get more rain.

Name:  110_1104.jpg
Views: 6508
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  110_1110.jpg
Views: 6499
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  110_1113.jpg
Views: 6509
Size:  99.1 KB

Lenny
Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice job Lenny! Looks great! You'll be the envy of the neighborhood with your new striping machine. Your stripes will come out way better once you get more rain. You will also get a better strip if you let your grass grow a little longer...I keep mine at 3 3/4" - 4" which also prevents it from drying out too fast.

Mark