Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2007, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Help on Labor Rates

What can I expect to pay for dependable labor?

1. First, for a helper I will work with as a two man crew.

2. Next, two men to operate their own truck, with the more experienced acting as supervisor and earning a higher wage.

3. Do most workers look for full time work and dependable hours, or are their plenty of workers available for a day or two a week to get started?

Any info an wages and dependability would be much appreciated.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hay John.....

As you know "being in the Houston area" you can get day labors all the time, I use them from time to time and I start at 7.00 an hour, and they MUST provide me with name address phone # and SS #, If I dont have these I can claim them.

It's hard to get a dependable person, that you can trust to run a truck. ya just have to get all of his info, check referances and take your chanches.
my experance everyone is seeking full time, only high school kids will b seeking part to full time, and I have had Very bad experances with them..
therte just dumb.

if and when you do get a Good full time guy, dont leave him out in the cold. when there is NO work, due to rain and what ever, give him some money. Remember, this guy will be depending on you to support his family, so he needs to live a decient life.

Good luck.

PS how far West do you service ?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Bohiaa-

Thanks for the info.

I'm actually just doing a few friends/family/neighbors, so I've "expanded" about a quarter mile in all directions. (LOL...I'll soon own Houston)

Working towards finding about 20-30 accounts in my neighborhood and learning as much as possible about this industry.

Do most of the laborers I'll find understand the basics of lawn care? At first I'd be working with him so I'd be able to oversee the quality and explain exactly what I want done. I assume this is the best way to use hired labor--with direct supervision. Do most guys give an honest days work in this situation and really help productivity over going solo?

Do you use the same guys over and over or is it even possible to be productive with a new guy each time?

I know hiring a full crew to take a route alone is a whole different ballgame. My thought would be to train all labor I use with the intent that they may later down the road be able to run a route as the supervisor. Buts thats a bit in the future.

I know my questions are a bit open-ended, but I'm just new and trying to gather as much advice as possible.

Thanks Again
Old 07-05-2007, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OH Wow!!, This post is going to offend some people, This post is NOT directed to anyone This is just my Rant, I myself under no circumstances will hire or use day labors, Most are not in the United States Legally, despite a phone number and a SS number they just happen to have.

Written into the legal section of my business plan are employment conditions, and verifiable legal status is only 1 of many. Most if not all of the "day Labors" can't prove status. Most Day labors are committing a Crime by being hear, why the hell do I want to hire criminals and drag myself down to their level buy commiting a crime by hiring them. I have personal standards my business has standards and those standards are high. As far as employment goes I put Americans first above all others. and if you don't speak english and are not trying to learn it then screw. I would never, ever tolerate employees speaking a language to each other on a job site that I do not understand. English speaking Americans are hired first period.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This may help, you might have to adjust this for your own situation. Entry level 7-9.50, next level 9.51- 12.50, Supervisor level depending on experience and span & control 12.51-16.00. These are the general rates compiled by the US DEPT. OF LABOR.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpel2004 View Post
This may help, you might have to adjust this for your own situation. Entry level 7-9.50, next level 9.51- 12.50, Supervisor level depending on experience and span & control 12.51-16.00. These are the general rates compiled by the US DEPT. OF LABOR.
Wow either their is a differential between Fl. and Ma. or I am drastically over paying some of my guys.