Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2007, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

heat tracks

Can you top this? My customer did this. Before I treated lawn.

Also see link--finally Michigan State recognizes the heat tracks problem.
http://www.ipm.msu.edu/cat07land/l05-25-07turfgrass.htm

Any suggestions on how to predict the occurrence of heat tracks? Or how to prevent it?
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem on one lawn and it seems that it has to do with lack of irrigation during this dry spell. Our PG's did the damage and they guy told me it was chemical damage and not a lack of water because he has lived there for 13 years and hasn't ever had to water it.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlclawnguy View Post
I had a similar problem on one lawn and it seems that it has to do with lack of irrigation during this dry spell. Our PG's did the damage and they guy told me it was chemical damage and not a lack of water because he has lived there for 13 years and hasn't ever had to water it.
We had this problem this year too in one lawn. The lawn has no irrigation and we only had the heat tracks out in the front yard were there was no shade. After talking to our local Extension service Weed and Pesticide Professor (the guy that writes the Turfgrass Pest management book for the state every year ), He determined by photos and description that it was not a chemical burn and possibly came from the PG crushing some fertilizer on the lawn during the heat. Either way the hot and dry conditions of that particular lawn is what caused it.

~Quote by Envy
Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

We experienced this problem about a month ago. The link below is from Purdue and explains all about it.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips...rowntracks.htm
Old 07-10-2007, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heat tracks are real easy to prevent. Never drive motorized equipment or even walk on draughty turf between 11AM & 2PM. If turf is wilting - water it.

In the real world most folks who run PG's are going to run into this 2-3 times a year. Cutters cause this damage much more often than applicators but it can happen to anyone.

That Perdue fact sheet from EcoLawn is awesome. Everyone should keep a few copies in their trucks this time of year.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I keep many copies in my clipboard. They came in handy.

If any of you are getting a decent amount of rainfall, will you please send it to PA. We need it badly.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah droughts brutal in the North East right now, got about an hour and a half of showers the other day which was greatly appriciated, now we're back to 90 for the start of the week.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you are crushing the crowns of the turf plants do to the lack of moisture in the plants. notice the areas it is in are high spots or areas with a lack of topsoil.

Details make money!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoLawn, Inc. View Post
We experienced this problem about a month ago. The link below is from Purdue and explains all about it.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips...rowntracks.htm
excellent link with great info....thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am going to bump this up. I got a call yesterday from a customer stating "you app'ed my lawn and now it is brown." So I said I would check it out. Today got to the lawn, and saw obvious heat tracks where my PG drove. I only spot sprayed this lawn (very little herbicide applied at all) so that was not the problem. It was about 80 degrees when I applied to this lawn. It was slightly dormant when I applied, but not so bad as to think it was a warning sign to stay off the lawn. Obviously I was wrong about this. And it ticks me off.

So, is this issue heat tracks alone? Or a combination of heat tracks and the fert I applied?
To note, I put on 24-0-7 with 50% nutrisphere (slow release technology) at only about 0.6 lbs N/K. Was a very light app. Wish I would have passed this one by for the day....I have not had this problem to date.

I am fairly confident most of this will come back...what kind of timeframe are we talking, assuming watering and good rainfall?

DA
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13