Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DA - we see this too. Not just tire tracks, but also from lawn mower blades. And it's nearly always on clay soil where the turf is not getting enough water. Folks that mow too short, mow parched turf, use dull blades, and mow in the hot sun are just asking for problems.

Regarding tire tracks: 1200 pound ZTR mowers are the worst, but we also see it on lawns when the homeowner uses a 21 inch push mower. But what do you do? You can hardly shut down your business just cuz a customer does not properly maintain his property according to land grant university recommendations.

We recently got some rain to alleviate this potential problem, but the forecast calls for 90's, sun, and heat indexes exceeding 100 degrees for the next ten days or so. So here we go again.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
To note, I put on 24-0-7 with 50% nutrisphere (slow release technology) at only about 0.6 lbs N/K. Was a very light app. Wish I would have passed this one by for the day....I have not had this problem to date.
Does this homeowner have irrigation?

I'm not questioning what you did. I'm trying to learn something, here. Is this safe for cool season grasses in this heat?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys. No irrigation at this customer's lawn. New sodded lawn just over 1 yr old. Typical sod job in a new development - sod laid over absolute crud for an interface.

Just to note, I drove and checked out a couple other lawns I app'ed that day. No tracking whatsover, no issues.

I am also thinking that I instigated an outbreak of asochyta leaf blight by driving with a PG on this lawn at the wrong time (it aint the fert and it aint the herbicide, I know that). There is just loads of this disease around here this year. Bad year for turf disease, thats for sure.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not from fert of herbicide. It is an occasional problem in hot weather even for the homeowners and guys that just mow. Ascochyta fungus may have moved in after the leaf was already dead. Crown and roots are not damaged. Recovery time is about 2 weeks if given plenty of water-- a good boost from slow-release fert with iron should help. If customer gets cranky, throw on some seed, but ryegrass will not match a sod lawn in most cases. Do the screwdriver test for the customer--show him. Get a moisture meter and show him. This puts him in the position of arguing with a meter. They are cheap; leave the meter with him as a freebie. Help him readjust his irrigation.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we've seen 2 lawns in one neighborhood, done by the same machine... the dead spot are right where they either entered or exitted the yard... both yards are plenty shaded and overwatered so it is not heat stress tracks... it looks like he was dripping roundup on his tire for the first (or last) 20 feet, just off the driveway... the rest of the yard is fine...
Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My situation is definitely not roundup related...no roundup anywhere near my machine.
Fairly certain I instigated an asochyta leaf blight issue.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We're getting pretty bad Heat Tracks up here too. (I'm about 25 miles west of Mpls) I've got two customers where I just plain stayed off that part of the yard so I wouldn't leave heat foot prints.

West Metro Property Services, Delano MN
Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Somewhere I have photographs of where a customer mowed his lawn witha 22 inch push mower. You can see every track except in the shade. And...you can see his footprints for each step he took.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

crystal ball in your truck?

(service call) "You killed my lawn". It was "heat tracks" caused by a ride-on spreader. No damage in the back (cuz it sloped away from the hot afternoon sun). The only brown tracks were in the front parking and south of the driveway where the afternoon sun bakes it. It is a clay soil lawn about 2 years old with no irrigation, and the guy says he never waters.

When I arrived, I got out my ruler to find out that his cutting height was "2 1/4 inches" instead of the 3 1/2 inch cutting height that ISU recommends. Then he saw me and came outside. When I told him I was measuring his cutting height, he got very upset.

The guy was a total jerk, and he had no intention on listening to me. All he wanted to do is insult my company. He said "what we applied" killed out his lawn. (I guess two brown tracks means killing his entire lawn). I explained that the 50% XCU non-burning slow-release fertilizer had nothing to do with the 2 brown tracks. (no herbicide was applied)
Then the guy said "we should have known better". Then I said, "Known better than what?" He provided no answer, but he sure got even madder after that. Then I explained that nobody can predict which properties will get brown tracks from mowers, spreaders, etc. He didn't buy that. I tried to hand him 3 fact sheets ("mower tracks in lawns" & "proper care of lawns during summer" & "proper mowing during summer"), but he refused to take them. Then he repeated himself over & over & over. Said he had "never seen this before, and nobody else in Altoona, IA has this". (my previous stop was for brown tracks caused by 2 Toro lawn mowers - 60" & a 72" in Altoona, IA) Then he said he wanted a refund on the application, and from now on we needed to call him ahead (no gate, no fence, no dog). I said, "Okay - no prob".

But then he went on another rant......."You should have known better. If you don't refund my $$ and call me ahead from now on, I'll find somebody else". (I had already agreed to this earlier in our conversation).

Here's what broke the camel's back -- He said "anybody could do as good or better than us". Then I turned my back, walked away, got in my truck, and drove away. At that point, he became a D.N.R (DO NOT RENEW)

Guess what??? I got back to the office. Seems this clown called and asked for my "supervisor". Seems he got even madder when I just "walked away".

This was the first customer I removed from our service this year. Hope it's the last. FYI, when you cancel a customer before they cancel you, it REALLY pisses them off.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Guess what??? I got back to the office. Seems this clown called and asked for my "supervisor". Seems he got even madder when I just "walked away".
Sounds like the time I had a stupid ***** ride in the left lane on the highway for miles, holding up a LONG line of cars (with my rig being th eone directly behind her). When I finally passed her in the right lane, she flipped me off.

Couple minutes later, my phone rings (my signage is on my trailer). She wants to "report" a bad driver.

What an awesome conversation we had!