Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

How Long is Your Lawn ?

So how long do you cut your own lawns ?

I tried 3", 3.5", 4" and now 4.5". I think 4.5" looks the best with its thick lush look.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i usually wait until mine is about 5 inches then mow it down to 3.5 inches. i don't mind the high look, and i don't use any weed control...just pull a few manually every other week or so. greenest lawn in the neighborhood, especially in the summer.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Mine is pushing 4.5, especially in the heat, but i keep it high throughout the year, without it being a pasture!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I mow @ 2.875 only due the issue of 3 dogs worth of poop is tough to find at the higher settings. When I do mow at the max height just shy of 3.5" it really takes off and grows rapidly. We been having a hot summer here. I just amazes me that people have such a need to mow at 2" and they think the shocked and heat stressed lawns look good. I think it must be the putting green syndrome . . .?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I mow @ 2.875 only due the issue of 3 dogs worth of poop is tough to find at the higher settings. When I do mow at the max height just shy of 3.5" it really takes off and grows rapidly. We been having a hot summer here. I just amazes me that people have such a need to mow at 2" and they think the shocked and heat stressed lawns look good. I think it must be the putting green syndrome . . .?
Are you German by any chance with that exacting height ...LoL

I agree most kill their turf themselves by cutting it too short, the heat just assures it is good and dead ! Most think that by cutting it short they don't have to cut as frequent, hence giving them more quality time with the family !, I tell them hows that helping when you water your lawn everynight trying to revive it ? ...LoL I don't water my lawn at all and it is 100x more green then the daily waterers
Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My grass gets cut at 4.5" and is green and full looking. No weeds right now getting ready to overseed here in late August.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In times of good rain, the back yard gets cut at 1", if the deck would go lower, I'd cut there.

EdTLawn:

2.875" works out to 2 7/8".... probably an actual height measurement at the 3" setting.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower is set at 4" and I mow it once a week. I might go to 3.5" in the spring and fall but in the summer I leave it longer.

I water but not the entire thing daily. I just have two big impulse sprinkler and they get moved to wherever they are needed and turned on for two hours once in the morning and once in the evening. I have 1+ acre that gets watered.

It's still nice and green. It's getting a little brown in some of the edges where it transitions to pasture but those spots probably didn't get aerated enough in the spring.
Tons of other crap for converting 5 acres of blackberries and scotch broom into a nice park like setting.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mow height

It's great to keep the mowing height up for alot of reasons but as you know Disease loves longer turf so that's one thing you do need to monitor this time of year, In Pa disease is everywhere right now.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I mow my lawn at 4 inches during the summer. Early spring & late fall = 3 1/2 inches. I never use a crabgrass preventer either. My lawn stays green longer than anybody elses in the neighborhood.