Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thinking about trimming...

I posted this earlier but I did it in the wrong forum. I hope I have it right this time. Please excuse me, I am new here. Thanks

I am thinking of doing some weeding and bush trimming/pruning to earn some cash. I am a stay at home mom with 2 kids. I posted a thread at a community website for my area asking if anyone needed someone to do weeding and bush trimming. I had a response from someone about 5 miles away. She has about 15 overgrown bushes all together. She has several honeysuckle bushes, Yews and Juniper bushes. These bushes measure about 6-9 feet tall (depending on the bush). Most of them are about 4-6 foot wide. She has lots of weeding to be done between the bushes. What would be the best way to tackle these overgrown bushes (besides a shovel LOL)? Can anyone help me? Also, what time of year should this be done?
How much you personally charge for a job like this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sue-Beginner
Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like a BIG job, you will need gas powered hedge trimmers,

and remember you'll have to haul it away.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue27hugs View Post
I posted this earlier but I did it in the wrong forum. I hope I have it right this time. Please excuse me, I am new here. Thanks

I am thinking of doing some weeding and bush trimming/pruning to earn some cash. I am a stay at home mom with 2 kids. I posted a thread at a community website for my area asking if anyone needed someone to do weeding and bush trimming. I had a response from someone about 5 miles away. She has about 15 overgrown bushes all together. She has several honeysuckle bushes, Yews and Juniper bushes. These bushes measure about 6-9 feet tall (depending on the bush). Most of them are about 4-6 foot wide. She has lots of weeding to be done between the bushes. What would be the best way to tackle these overgrown bushes (besides a shovel LOL)? Can anyone help me? Also, what time of year should this be done?
How much you personally charge for a job like this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sue-Beginner
The trees are quite high if you have to prune all the way to the top. That in itself can take quite a bit of time. If you have to rent equipment, you'll also have to rent the safety gear that goes with it.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was to take close to 1 1/2 day doing it alone without much experience like what you have.

Check the net, study pruning and I would probably charge just under $400. Of course that depends on the cost of rentals etc...

Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sue you need to ask how much this client wants trimmed off of these bushes top and sides. If your short you may have to go up and down a ladder. You might need a set of hedge trimmers,like a multi task tool. Your gonna need plenty of trash bags too. I also think $400 would sound about right,without seeing the property thou hard to say,GOOD LUCK .
Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT LawnCare Inc. View Post
Sue you need to ask how much this client wants trimmed off of these bushes top and sides. If your short you may have to go up and down a ladder. You might need a set of hedge trimmers,like a multi task tool. Your gonna need plenty of trash bags too. I also think $400 would sound about right,without seeing the property thou hard to say,GOOD LUCK .
Ditto!! $400-$600 depending if you have to haul it all away

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 07-09-2007, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to say close to $800 because those are wide and tall which will be a bear to tackle with possibly multiple truck loads of debris. Just be careful, Sue, trimming bushes of those sizes can be dangerous even more if using power hedge trimmers! Good luck and welcome to the industry enjoy your stay! Also pricing is going to depend on location and class of area.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

This lady has a farm and I am betting she has somewhere to put the debris, like a fire pit. I will try to get some photos this week to give everyone an idea of this job. I'm not sure she wants to take off the height because a highway in right in front of the house. I think she just wants them to look better.
Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Pictures of the bushes.

Here are some pictures of the bushes.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sue looks like your going to need a set of extended length hedge trimmers. You might need a ladder if your short.,be very careful reaching with just a pair of regular trimmers you could slip and fall off a ladder. I'd still charge about $400-500 bucks. But i could dump it all in one trip. Looks like you got some small trees gowing in some of the bushes.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not use a hedge trimmer. Selectively prune each shrub and you will have a much more naturally appearing plants.