Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Recent EP Henry Devonstone Project

Here's a recent example of a job we did with EP Henry Devon Stone. Devon Stone is a synthetic flagstone look. However, the product has a lifetime guarantee. We used construction adhesive to attach the pieces along the edge then dry laid the middle sections and used polymeric sand for the joints. You could also mortar or grout the joints. We prefer to have the flex of poly sand.

"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates

Last edited by John Zaprala; 07-12-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo in title
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Project looks good. But devon stone is a BAD product. I do not see it holding up over time. I have installed more sq ft of anyone in my area and i am the least bit impressed by it.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

John - The only thing I see that I'm not crazy about is where the pieces are adhered to the vertical face.........It would look alot better if you ran the front piece past the edge to cover the piece on the side. Your view is from the front, so i wouldn't want to see that little side piece. Other than that, looks great!

Chris
Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It would probably look better if you used the manufactured side towards the front and left a small drip edge. (less than 1 inch). Looks like the cut side is facing front.

Hey Mrusk, where are you located in NJ?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The manufactured edges are all exposed. There are no cuts showing. Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't happy about putting the pieces on the front ont he step b/c the customer only wanted what was showing to be covered, but I think it looks dumb to not do the sides. Thanks again guys!
"Well, I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know."-Socrates
Old 07-13-2007, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not saying to not cover the sides, just cover them up w/ the front pieces.

Chris
Old 07-13-2007, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have run the border along the back of the patio as well. So there were no cuts against the house.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You need to watch out for those 4 corners!!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John,

Nice work, I personally hate the look of Devenstone. We have done 4 projects with it and it is the one of the worst products. EP Henry released it way too early, they have had too many problemns with it......step treads were a year late. I will post some pics the of one job we did and we used it as step coping.

It does not achieve the look most people expect. The only way to keep the lines straight, b/c of EP quality control, is to overgap spaces to make them line up. I would swear the + or - 1/8" thickness tolerance is WAY too much on this stuff. It can, and has left a 1/4" trip in the middle of walks and patios. I will post some pics.

Dan
Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a walk we did and used it as coping:
Attached Images