Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2001, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

McCulloch Eager Beaver Timing

I have a 2.0 McCulloch Eager Beaver 14" chainsaw that won't even cough when I try to start it. I took it to a repair place and they said there was a good spark from the electronic ignition module. Other things checked out ok, new plug, new gas, good healthy spark, key not sheared, good compression, clear exhaust. They injected both gas and a little ether in the carb and neither caused it to even fire. They said the only thing they can think of is that the spacing of the ignition module to the flywheel could be affecting the timing enough to make it not start. The manual says the timing cannot be set on this model though. Does this sound reasonable and if so what spacing should be used? I don't want to put too much money in this going down a path if it doesn't make sense. Any other ideas what may be going on??? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2001, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

changing the air gap between the coil and flywheel doesn't effect the timing. Shifting the coil will. Yours has a fixed coil and you can only set the gap. How old is you unit? If it's an old unit you may have a bad reed valve if it's equiped. If it's a newer model you may have a bad crank seal or case gasket. Your piston on the downward stroke will pressurize the crankcase in turn will force the fuel mixture into the cylinder. This may be the problem. I wish I could look at it to be sure. You may have to take it somewhere else for a second oppionion. Try a little fuel through the spark plug hole. If you get it to pop then you have the problems mentioned above.
Old 08-31-2001, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not sure of the age but I know it does not have any reed valves. At the shop they injected both gas and even tried ether in the carb throat and it didn't fire yet it is getting a good spark and the plug is new. This is when they started talking about slight changes in timing possibly due to the ignition coil to flywheel gap. As you said the timing itself cannot be adjusted since the coil is fixed except for the air gap. Can you think of any other tests I could try? Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2001, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lucy, Put an eye dropper full of fuel in the plug hole. Then see if it snorts any. If it doesn't then I would guess that its the coil breaking down under load. If it does pop then I would guess it's the crank seals. I would take it to another shop for a second opionion. Let me know.