Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2007, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Lease or buy new zero turn

As business grows and more equipment is needed does anyone have any positive or negative recent experience on leasing new zero turn mowers,
such as scag, ferris, exmark, gravely, or any others?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Why not buy? Save money that way.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Have not been in the lawn care/landscaping business long, but i have been in the medical field for some time. Typically we lease things when it is a new technology which is still growing/being refined and dont want to get stuck with first generation stuff. It can also be cheaper depending on how long you plan to lease, what the rules are to the lease and what not. Major thing is you dont have the capital outlay up front. If you plan to upgrade frequently is also another reason.

In mowers i would imagine there are quite a few stipulations though. Guessing the major ones being maintenance schedule, time placed on machine and the wear factor. Seems most commercial stuff starts getting banged up pretty quick if you have folks who dont care/pay the bills on it.

I would make sure and read the fine print though....who knows whats embedded in there lol.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Nothing you lease will ever be cheaper then buying and reselling. Even at 5% that is $400 on a normal ZTR. When you lease and turn it in you still lose the depreciation, they will charge you for any little wear and tear item they feel could be avoided, and you will not get as much money as you could sell it outright for.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard of a few guys that lease their equipment
and at the end of the lease they own it.
I know you can do this with cars
but my best buddy says he is leasing for now on???????
I think it is time we go out for a drew
04 FLTRI
16' Trailer
52" Xmark ZTR
48" Hustler TrimStar WB
36" Bob Cat Belt drive
21" Honda
21" Craftsman
8HP Leaf Blower
Redmax 8000 Backpack Blower
Echo Combo Trimmers
Echo Blower
Old 07-16-2007, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Leasing turf equipment is a highly viable proposition provided you are leasing a "package".
For a start up or low volume - 2 or 3 ztr company - typically it does not make sense.
However, for larger companies, golf courses, athletic field maintenance, etc it is a well known and solid way to acquire up to date equipment without the capital outlay for purchasing.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Leasing is the best way for many small lawn companies. Consider this: I lease my mower make 7 payments per yr none in my downtime. I can write off the whole payment off taxes, and at the end of the lease I own it for $1.

I hate making payments for equipment in the winter when it's not working. If you need writeoffs this helps a lot. You have to be prepared for a larger payment. Worked for me for 5 machines in 16 yrs. I use Advance Acceptance.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Leasing is the best way for many small lawn companies. Consider this: I lease my mower make 7 payments per yr none in my downtime. I can write off the whole payment off taxes, and at the end of the lease I own it for $1.

I hate making payments for equipment in the winter when it's not working. If you need writeoffs this helps a lot. You have to be prepared for a larger payment. Worked for me for 5 machines in 16 yrs. I use Advance Acceptance.
How much would the lease payment be on a new 42" MTGHS Walker (roughly $9500 new I think)?

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on how many payments you set it up for. Say you set it up for 7 pyments per yr like I do. For 3 yrs probably $700 for 4 yrs probably 600. I'm just guessing it's been a while since I looked at my contract. Best way to find out is contact Advance Acceptance and ask. I know when I bought my 1st Walker in 1992 I paid $6500 and my payment was $440. per month. But with that mower I was able to add a lot more lawns to make that up and more. I didn't have any winter income so it was a no brainer for me.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Depends on how many payments you set it up for. Say you set it up for 7 pyments per yr like I do. For 3 yrs probably $700 for 4 yrs probably 600. I'm just guessing it's been a while since I looked at my contract. Best way to find out is contact Advance Acceptance and ask. I know when I bought my 1st Walker in 1992 I paid $6500 and my payment was $440. per month. But with that mower I was able to add a lot more lawns to make that up and more. I didn't have any winter income so it was a no brainer for me.
Holy crap, that is like what I gross per month Guess I will look harder for a used one.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000