Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2007, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Making Mulch?

I'm am looking to make mulch from wood chips.How long should they sit before using?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

here's a thread that discusses making mulch you can read while waiting for other replies:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ighlight=mulch
Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

how many yards of chips do you have? it wont be worth it if you have 100-200yrds if you have more like 10k -30k yards it will be worth it. get the sam e amount of hardwood bark, not mulch and cut it half and half then pay someone to run it threw a tub grinder. it wont be the best mulch but it will be darn good
Old 07-15-2007, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I might be wrong on this but I never think of mulch the way some people do. Mulch in my opinion is compost, and this shredding/grinding of woodchips is bark. Where I used to work we screened our own compost and topsoil. We used a tad bit of topsoil mixed in with our aged horse manure for compost. Since we were a nursery we had plenty of plant product being discarded (tree limbs, leaves, flowers etc.) and we had a huge pile of it that would get ground up with a mower behind a CUT. Eventually (a long time down the road) we would take this ground up stuff that was very composted and mixed it in with our soil and screened it, which helped make the topsoil rich and have a nice dark color to it. I guess you could screen it to make just compost but I don't know too much about this stuff.

Bark has to sit for a while. The longer it sits the darker it gets. We carried fine bark, medium bark, and now they added a nice dark black bark to their mix (this being the stuff that sits longer). I never have actually sat and watched bark being made but I do know they have a large tub grinder on site but again I'm not too knowledgeable in this area as much as I'd like to be.

Blake
WA