Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-23-2007, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

If it later than every 2 week's find someone else to hard on equiment and to much labor if they don't want to pay the right price
Old 07-25-2007, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm dropping an account tonight, the guy always wants cutting every other week and he waters and fertlilizes the bermuda, I have a 48" SD Walker and going up and down the yard the mower is actually plowing the clippings and than you have to double cut it for the same 50 bucks for a 1/2 acre lawn, not worth it, looking to get a Z this year, need something fast, cuts great and is comfortable, like everyone else wants. Last year I was cutting him weekly but hes trying to save money at my expense, see ya later Charlie!
Just had to vent.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

true, let the bs-accounts drop!

(they ain't worth it!)
Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got done cutting one, actually. I cut lots of overgrown lawns. I live out in the sticks, and sometimes it pays better for me to cut the overgrown stuff. I wont even think about mowing it if the lawn hasn't been mowed in the past. I know I'm still taking a chance. I tell everyone up front $100.00/ hour, and it is what it is. I've never had anyone turn me down, I've never wrecked a mower (**knock on wood**), and so far I've made lots of money. So far since May, I've picked up 4 lawns that I mow EOW this way. Doesn't work for everyone, but until I'm too busy to do it, I'll keep mowing, and mowing, and mowing.....
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysel View Post
Just wondering if anyone doesn't cut overgrown yards. I turned down a yard today because it was so bad.
I told her it was probably a 45$ yard, but it too out of control for me.
Getting sick of people that want me to let the yard get really long then call me to cut it "as short as you can". And they won't let me come mow it weekly.
This yard was insane. Just wondering what you guys thought.
Depends on how bad u need the work. Normally these are one time deals so just walk away or charge so much that u are sure they do not go for it & if they do it is worth it..... unless you tear your mower up in the process.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Depends on how bad u need the work. Normally these are one time deals so just walk away or charge so much that u are sure they do not go for it & if they do it is worth it..... unless you tear your mower up in the process.
I use to cut yards that were over grown, but not anymore. If I do, I charge about 2-3 times a regular mow.
This one needed the brush hog for sure.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We knocked down a couple lawns this spring that were two feet tall in most places, but we made sure they signed up for regular mowing after that. Brush Hog jobs....we sub out.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree - if its going to result in a regular customer - then hack away. One time cuts are rarely done.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

At least I'm not the only one catching this crap, I find most are not willing to pay what it should cost, I quoted someone $100 for a 1/4 acre thick knee high stuff earlier this year, just because I get tired of it. And I know it's an outrageous price, but then so is the grass, so, an outrageous price for an outrageous job, it does make sense.

Because it gets to that point I can't deal with it either, every one I do is one closer to where the next time I see that stuff as I'm pulling up I never even stop to estimate, just keep on driving, and it wouldn't be the first time I just keep on driving, done it with the equipment loaded as I pulled up ready to work before, too, just kept on going. But I also get tired of wasting fuel lol.

Half won't pay more than normal price, out of the other half that say yes to a high quote, most of them never really intend to pay, so either way I don't get paid. I guess part of the reason is they just don't care, because if they did it would've never gotten like that.
On that note, if they don't care, why should I?

The problem is it has to cost more and a lot more, it not only takes longer but it's really hard on the machine. I do most like these with the Wb to where the engine shakes in the frame, we're talking 15hp's here can't hardly keep up, one yard like this is like a week's worth of wear and tear, it really ought to cost 10-20 times normal price if you ask me, you never know what kind of solid objects you run into while cutting and how much money you'll be out of in parts + labor for maintenance.

Truth be known it's really not bad with a Z, on mine I can set the cut height on the fly, so I start out with a 5.75" setting and the machine hardly strains... Go over it one time then lower the cut 1/4" and go over it again, repeat this until I'm down to 3.5" or so... I did one earlier this year, got it down to 4" before I got tired of fooling with it, the guy still hasn't paid the $50 I quoted for his 1/4 acre knee-to-waist high. So they don't pay, it's not the work, the work in and of itself is tolerable, but they just won't pay what it should cost, or they don't pay at all...

Last edited by topsites; 08-01-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best I can think of is quote sky high, then payment in advance, credit card, cash or money order preferred.
You probably won't get the job, at least I usually don't, but what's the difference, seeing how I'm not getting paid anyhow?