Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

As far as price - unless you are starving you come up with a price your almost embarassed to give them. If they bite then its prepay. I have a policy - first two cuts for a new customer I get paid before the gate drops. If they are honest its not a problem, if not then I dont get paid & their junk don't get cut.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
Moto is 12" or under. No brush hogging for me unless it is a long time customer that has moved into a jungle. I have one semi customer that calls me once a month to cut her grass. She cuts it 3 times a month. It is usually 7 inches. we have understanding it will cost her 2 dollar per minute. I keep telling here I will do it for 30 a cut but she keeps calling me averaging 70 a cut. go figure.
Do you have much Burmuda in Oregon? I don't think you would cut 12 inch high thick Bermuda or 8" for that matter. 4" is a killer when you try to bring it down to 2.5" Really depends on how much you have to lop off. I don't think the highest setting on a lazer would get through 12". Taking down Bermuda 2" or more makes a hugh mess and/or lots of bagging
Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I stopped taking crap jobs to, I don't do storm windows, I don't go across the city and no more over grown lawns.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you have much Burmuda in Oregon? I don't think you would cut 12 inch high thick Bermuda or 8" for that matter. 4" is a killer when you try to bring it down to 2.5" Really depends on how much you have to lop off. I don't think the highest setting on a lazer would get through 12". Taking down Bermuda 2" or more makes a hugh mess and/or lots of bagging
Only bermuda is what you don't want to have. We have mainly rye and some fescue lawns.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings View Post
I stopped taking crap jobs to, I don't do storm windows, I don't go across the city and no more over grown lawns.
Agreed, and don't forget no more gutters. I will not even stop as others have said if it is out of control upon pulling up. The only way I will consider anything overgrown is if they agree to weekly service, and understand it will take 2-3 cuts to get it back in shape. I hate the turds that think the lawn should go from a foot high with weeds mixed in, to golf course standards in one cut. These are the ones I say have a nice day, call so and so he can take care of you.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysel View Post
Just wondering if anyone doesn't cut overgrown yards. I turned down a yard today because it was so bad.
I told her it was probably a 45$ yard, but it too out of control for me.
Getting sick of people that want me to let the yard get really long then call me to cut it "as short as you can". And they won't let me come mow it weekly.
This yard was insane. Just wondering what you guys thought.

nope I would not have cut it I only provide service to "owners" who care.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I should have made her pre-pay, and just mow one strip down the middle...or a few crop circles.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

When I have a customer call me to mow an overgrown yard, I call the guy down the street who has a tractor and brushhog. I tell the customer that I will mow it on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule and rate after this guy knocks it down to a mowing highth that my machines can handle. But like you Daysel, I would love to cut a few crop circles in it and make it read: Call before gets too high....
Old 08-15-2007, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually turn them down unless I think I am going to get more business from it.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill do em with the tractor.

250 for the first hour. 125 for every hour after that.

Oh and its not going to be cut pretty or level and the clippings will probably form piles as they come out the back.