Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2007, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would offer to kill it off and install low growing ground cover, since they don't want to mow anyway, then some idiot with a ww can hit it twice a year. Problem solved. But yeah, I'll cut it if it's no higher than 2 feet, and charge accordingly.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know it's funny, but something about customers who have a pre-set price in mind...
ALL customers, just about every single last customer has some kind of a figure in their head as to what it should cost.
Understood, that's their opinion, but there's not much can be done, if someone thinks $30 then $30 to them it is, quote $60 and watch out if they say ok, they'll end up getting that extra $30 some kind of way, or they just don't pay.

That's what happened with this one fellow, called me 2-3 years ago for a leaf cleanup... The yard and driveway was a bit deep but not too bad, I figured put all of this in the wooded area and be done with it, I can't remember but I think I quoted 2-300... Oh wow he called back FAST...
Turns out he wanted the wooded area cleared up, too.
I get a few of these, they suddenly want the leaves out of the woods...
And now I could see it, this guy was thinking 6-700 for all of that...
We're not just talking a few trees here, this was a considerable size area, then he talks about he wants to grow lawn there, later.

I told this guy it would cost 3-4000 just to clear up enough of the BRUSH and small trees out of the way so I could get my blower up in there, the leaves on top of that, still he needed to consider the lawn would cost... CLICK! (he hung up)
That was the end of it, or so I thought...
This year I see the area all cleaned up, like back in April-May.
Some fellow was working on it, looked pretty good, then he brought in dirt.
Nice topsoil, really nice, piles and piles of it, stretched the whole wooded area, we're talking maybe 1/4 acre to be later spread out.
Today, and yes I mean right now, the piles are still sitting there, as is.

So you know what happened?
The customer finally swallowed that he was going to HAVE to spend 3-4g...
But as I said, it still doesn't work, sure enough he must've bargained for a lot more.
That's what always happens, once they have a price in mind you CAN'T go over.
I feel kind of sorry for that Lco, but am glad I saw this one coming.
Meanwhile thou, I got 3 accounts fixing to go to a collection agency, similar bs, a whole lot less money.
It's ALWAYS like that, if my quote is more than they had in mind, it's over, even if they agree it could well be bad news.
So yeah, pay in advance, it all depends if you need the work bad, but me thinks you're better off not bothering either way.
Unless they pay in advance.

Last edited by topsites; 08-16-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im with tlc, dont do anything you cant handle or anything that risks damaging your equiptment.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll cut any overgrown lawn. Be it 6 inches tall or 3 feet tall. I'm confident in both mine and my machines ability and have never had a problem with overgrown lawns. I look at it as an opportunity to charge the pants off them for the possible risk, and they almost always accept because they have no choice. I've learned not to make a fuss and explain all the dangers I'm facing with possible mechanical failure to the home owner, I simply quote the job and do the work, this seems to impress them the most and land me more jobs, usually a full time mowing customer out of these properties. The trick is taking your time, mowing slowly, and removing grass as you go. Is it a pain, heck yes, but charge accordingly.

Now if the area is so overgrown it has turned into more of a brush removal job than a mowing job, that is a different story.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes Cut It!

YES CUT IT! Charge for it and get your money.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose everything has a price. lol
If I had a $3000 mower I might be more reluctant but then again, the equipment would be tougher.

I have turned down really bad ones, because my equipment cannot handle it; the other ones I charge more for, but sometimes I think not enough so make sure you don't underestimate if you decided to do it.

My disclaimer if I do it:
"It's not going to look that great the first time"
I tell them because I have to mow it higher and I use mulching mowers so it won't mulch everything. I'm not going to rake stuff up, if it doesn't mulch.

If it's so high it's going to keep killing the engine then I'm not going to do it or maybe if I get a side discharge mower, but I'll tell them there's going to be clippings. Reason I don't have a side-discharge is those aren't my normal type of jobs. Many of them are just one cut and if they aren't they probably let it go too long in between mows, so it's your call, depending on how much business you have: If you have plenty of business I would say it's not worth it.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I never touch anything like that. Too much wear on the equipment for someone you will probably never hear from again. If they, push the issue, I will quote them something outrageous and watch them walk.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sure I would cut it nothing is to out of control for me and I charge accordingly
Old 10-10-2007, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Just one question how do you guys go about pricing yards inclduing fertilizing and seeding and doing beds and all????
Old 10-11-2007, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont do one timers any more unles it is for a customer that i have had for a while or a realtor. I cant stand when people let it get 10 ft tall then want it cut to the ground so they can just do it again the next month. Not worth my time.
GreatDane 36" Super Surfer
Toro 22" Selfpace
Stihl FS80R Trimmer
Echo Trimmer
Stihl BG55 Blower
Stihl BG65 Blower
6x12 Tandom Trailer
More hand tools then I know what to do with.