Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Unhappy cub cadet Z force 44 noise under the deck

The idler-pully spring broke on the mower deck. The local dealer replaced the spring and belt. Ever since, there has been a huming noise coming from the deck after the first 15 minutes of cutting; when the PTO is first engaged, the mower deck sounds fine, and cuts well. However, the humming noise starts after the first five or so minutes of cutting, and gradually builds to a distinctive consitant hum after 15 minutes. The local dealer thinks this is normal. In fact, they lowered the rpms of the mower so the hum was less noticable, but it's still there. Ive cut with this mower for over a year without this noise. I've also cut with other brands and have never experienced this. There is still one year left on the warranty, and it doesn't sound right to me, and Cub cadet has terrible customer service. They treat you like cancer when you call for help directly. You get the impression their service reps are trained on how to ovoid confronting customer's with warranty work. The local rep is stumped. What could this be?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a cubcadet z force 44 but i only use it for my yard and a few residentals i have in my neighborhood. they only problem i have is that my dad will never get the blades sharpened... so i have to double cut everytime i use it. ....as for the noise, i never notice "humming". i always hear a buzzing noise but not a humming, is it an anoying loud humming like a bee by your ear?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many lawns do you do a week with it?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

sparatic...i mostly professionalize at trimming. Right now im currently maintaining brush at an old farm lot pending the development of a home on it. I mow part time and work another job. Once i get a trailer i will use the Cubcadet more frequently, sorry i cant be much help to your problem, i would try another place to get a second or even third opinion. the place i bought mine from i dont let service, i go somewhere else. i dont know why, i jus do haha
Old 07-21-2007, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

The humming noise under the deck is a distinctive sound that starts as a normal sound like helicopter blades. Whoooooooooooom... and is consitant. Which in my experience is a normal sound. Then the humming sound, and maybe that's not the best way to descibe it, is more like a Whoooom--Whoooom/Whooom--whooom/Whoooom--Whoooom/. So it goes from a consistant sound to an oscillating sound; hard to describle using text. I even thought there may have been some build up under the deck, the dealer did as well. However, I've made sure that the deck has been cleaned after each use. Very frustrting. I'm thinking something is wrong with the spindles. I also was thinking of taking it to another dealer. Just wasn't sure if I would get the same run around. The mower has spent a lot of time in the shop; It's been in 6 times for the same situation.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush View Post
The idler-pully spring broke on the mower deck. The local dealer replaced the spring and belt. Ever since, there has been a huming noise coming from the deck after the first 15 minutes of cutting; when the PTO is first engaged, the mower deck sounds fine, and cuts well. However, the humming noise starts after the first five or so minutes of cutting, and gradually builds to a distinctive consitant hum after 15 minutes. The local dealer thinks this is normal. In fact, they lowered the rpms of the mower so the hum was less noticable, but it's still there. Ive cut with this mower for over a year without this noise. I've also cut with other brands and have never experienced this. There is still one year left on the warranty, and it doesn't sound right to me, and Cub cadet has terrible customer service. They treat you like cancer when you call for help directly. You get the impression their service reps are trained on how to ovoid confronting customer's with warranty work. The local rep is stumped. What could this be?

check the drive pulley that uses the belt from the motor. the center seems to wear out and the pulley gets a bit cocked on the mounting bolt. try putting a little oil (no zert on this pulley, ??) on the center bolt of the pulley and see if that helps.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a cub cadet z-force 44. The spindles are prone to going out prematurely. I had less than 200 hours on mine and replaced all three spindles about 4 times. When they start to go out, it could be described as a hum - but eventually turns into a squeal. It could be the idler itself - I had to replace one of those also.
I had problem after problem with mine - I had to sell it and buy a commercial grade mower. You might want to pay close attention while it is still under waranty.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejrl View Post
I had a cub cadet z-force 44. The spindles are prone to going out prematurely. I had less than 200 hours on mine and replaced all three spindles about 4 times. When they start to go out, it could be described as a hum - but eventually turns into a squeal. It could be the idler itself - I had to replace one of those also.
I had problem after problem with mine - I had to sell it and buy a commercial grade mower. You might want to pay close attention while it is still under waranty.
It should also be noted (again) that the Z-force line is only covered for one year/150 hours for commercial use and 3 years/150 hours for residential use.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejrl View Post
a lot of that is caused by simply not tightening the blade nuts to the proper torque.
500 hours, commercially and the only problem i've had is the main drive pulley. 50.00 and that was solved.
for me it is a great machine to use when the ground is wet because it is so light. i wouldn't use it as a front line machine but it does have it's niche. maybe i've just been lucky but i've taken great pains to maintain it properly.
do not confuse it with the rzt though. my opinion is the rzt looks like it is built too cheaply to even be a reliable homeowners machine. my opinion only as i've never used an rzt.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
my opinion is the rzt looks like it is built too cheaply to even be a reliable homeowners machine. my opinion only as i've never used an rzt.
Which is obviously shared by MTD as they only provide a 3 year/120 hour warranty on this, their "premium brand" mower. I mean, what's that say to the consumer.. "well, if you get 120 hours of use out of it, you've gotten what we've expected it to stand up for". Really that's what, maybe a year and a half of cutting on a 2 acre residential lot?