Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2007, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Loegering VTS tracks

I was watching some of the video clips on these this morning and I must say they look impressive. I'm sure they cost plenty and I think the price has been stated on here before. I know they always look good in the videos. Some of those operators where pretty wild. As stated before I bet they put allot of wear on the machine since they have some much more pushing power than before.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just purchased a set this last week with the help a new lawnsite member, DemoDozer. I have a Gehl 5640 wheeled machine which will be turned into a VTS tracked machine by late next week sometime. Delivered price for 12" wide track system was $8,300. I have been looking on ebay and all other sites I could find for a used pair since last November and always came up empty......so I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on this set.......Will let you know how they install and work as time goes on........Heck, if I can figure out how to post pictures, I will do that too..........
Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Vts

I have two sets of VTS on a 226 Cat and a 246 Cat, the vts is a great investment for a few reasons, it does not have hydraulic feed lines from the belly of the tractor to the drive motors on the outside reducing the risk of breakdowns, VTS has a torsion axle on the front giving you a better for longer hours of use with less fatigue, and when the machine is ready to be retired you put the tires back on and sell it, buy a new tire machine ( which is far less than a dedicated track machine) install your VTS an wallah you have track machine.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So Demo, you've been running this set-up for how long? Any draw backs that you have experienced ie: more wear and tear on rear drive train, any breakages occuring that may be contributed to vts? etc.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Demodozer

I have had both sets for about 18 months, so far so good. Love the system. Had one minor problem we broke a piece of steel ont the VTS but loegering handled the issue very quickly and we were on our way. I have not had any problems so far with addtional wear on my machines, but Cat is beefing up the drive chains in the new machines due out soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using a set of VTS tracks on a Bobcat S250 for a couple of years now. So far I have had absolutely no problems. I like them so much, I just leave them on and use my skiploader for any work that would require the tires (like loading my dump truck in the street where I would have to make a lot of turns on asphalt). If I do have to do a loading job with VTS on asphalt, I spread out a little dirt where I turn and they spun like on ice. It only takes about 10 minutes to clean up the dirt so it was well worth it.
I could see how these tracks would be hard on a machine if abused or used like a tired machine. They provide so much more traction, that they do multiply the forces on the machine. I use my machines but don't abuse them.
I have a buddy that has a Bobcat T300. We were working on the same job once and we swapped machines for half a day. He liked the VTS much better, especially because of the suspension. He thought it felt every bit as strong, if not stronger, than his T300. I thought they were pretty much the same, except my 2 speed would kick a?? when hauling loads from one point to another.
I picked up enough jobs that I normally wouldn't be able to do that they paid for themselves in less than a year. I was skeptical at first because of the cost, but I have no regrets and think they are well worth the money.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob, or anybody else, how do they do in heavy mud? Do they bogg the machine down much? Are the tracks hard to clean out? Have they ever froze up in the winter? Also, how many hours do you think you'll get out of them before you'll need to replace U/C parts and rubber?

I've never used them, but I would think they probably could push and get the same kind of traction that a dedicated CTL gets. I'm just curious if they hold up as long.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

VTS Tracks

I can only tell you that the conditions we run in are terrible, we demo swimming pools and that means climbing down inside the pool and hammering for hours and then removing the gunite and cut steel, and the VTS are fantastic and durable. But we also use another fantastic invention the Demo-Dozer. Anyway love the VTS.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

When I first got the VTS system, we were experiencing the wettest year in 100 years in California. I did a whole lot mud work and they worked great. I found them easy to keep clean due to the open design. Prior to that I had used Bobcat and Cat CTLs which I found much harder to clean after mud use. I always clean the tracks at the end of each day when using them in mud. I never felt they lacked power in mud on my machine (S250).
As far as freezing in winter, I have no personal experience. However, before I bought the VTS system I did a lot of homework on them since they were very new to the market. Loegering gave me the number of a company that did testing for them of this new system. This company was in Ohio and I talked to the president who said that winter use was one of the best features of this system as he had no problems with it in the cold. He had been previously using Cat CTLs and said he had a lot of problems with them freezing and/or losing tracks.
I have found Loegering a good company to work with. I was one of the first to get the system and they contacted me several times for my feedback. Once I was visited by a factory representative along with my area rep to see how the tracks were doing. They have shown a great interest in me as a customer and have listened and responded to all feedback.