Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-02-2001, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

dump trailers

I am currently looking at trailers and am thinking a dump will fit the bill. I will perform landscaping and mowing services and think the versatility is unmatched. Not only can I load mowing equipment but I will be able to haul material with ease on landscaping days. Not to mention the lower insurance rates vs. a dump truck. What do you guys think?
Old 09-02-2001, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a new 8.5 x 12 bri-mar dump trailer this summer in addition to having my enclosed trailer. So far it has been worth every penny. I don't know how well it would work for hauling a big mower because the ramps have a pretty steep angle. I have to back the skid-steer up it because it might tip when going forward up it. It isn't low like trailers made just for skid-steers or that kinda equipment. Most likely the deck of a mower will get hung up going from the ramps to the box. It works great for what it is inteneded for. I know you can use it for whatever you want but it won't replace my enclosed trailer.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like Randy Said

I know its hard budgeting and storage problems, etc sometimes, but there is no magic "one size fits all" in this industry.

It will work as both, but only 100% at what its intended for. You might find it easier to get another trailer for your lawn maintenance equipment and leave the dump trailer dedicated to the landscaping side of the biz.

Good luck, and with a few mod's here and there, you should be able to make it dual purpose for now.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 6 by 10 udump trailer. its absolutely great for hauling mulch. i dont know about putting equipment in it though. i got the high riding one with the axles fully underneath. i do strictly mulch and demolition with it. if you want to haul equipment too, check out the low boy bri mar, or even a foster low boy. those are great for hauling skid steers and still being able to haul materials. just remember the lower the trailer rides, the worse your dumping angle will be.
Old 09-02-2001, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

dump trailers

Thanks guys for the great advice! I'm mostly going to use it for the landscape side of the biz. I only want to mow maybe 2 days per week and do installs the rest. Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's basically what I do now also Kevin. It turns out that for me and my area, and the people running around cutting for next to nothing, the mowing end of the business is merely to get exposure. I am able to make loads more money doing all the others except mowing. I cut two days a week and that is enough. I'd like to tighten those days for next year, hopefully get a few more accounts that I prefer, drop the crap ones, and spend the other days making, for me at least, better money. That was the direction I had intended to go when I started this business and that is what I will continue to pursue.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am thinking about buying a dump trailer,my old dump truck s about shot,body wise,i would save 600 a yr on insurance,but one job i do it woul be tough to back the trailer into.The one thing no one mentioned ishow much these things can weigh,most are 10000 or 12000 gvwr at the minumum.It takes a heavy duty truck to pull one of these things,and to keep it tracking straight,the 3 dump traielrs i pulled didnt track as good as my 18 ft trailer,I would almost want gooseneck if possible or a dually to pull with,since short ,heavy trailers dont seem tow nearly as good as longer ones do.
Old 09-02-2001, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a 6.5'X12' dump trailer and love it. It has a 18,000# gvw and never got close to it yet but well worth the money. I paid $3,700 for it. As far as mowing with it, to high off the ground but work well for lots of other things.

BTW I have no tracking problems with it and I can pull it with a 1/2 ton truck. It weighs 3,800# empty

LGF:blob1:
Old 09-03-2001, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LGF

What make do you have? Where did you get it?

Dave
Old 09-03-2001, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes DIDO ,But does it have 10 guage floor and 12 gauge sides and a good hoist? but $3,700 is a real good price for it what brand and where did you get it?