Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what one first

i have all ready read all the posts about this subject on lawnsite and tractors by net and just wanted to run this question by to see if any of you could bring up points i have over looked. i need to by a machine yet i am stuck between the 110 tlb john deere (used but low hours about 300hrs) and a 95xt case (high hours 3500hrs) and a case 50 series excavator (low hours 500hrs) eventually i will be buying all three machines but im not sure what one first. i have it narrowed to the deere and the 95xt. so far the deere is looking good because it can do the work of the skid and the excavator and with turf tires on it i can run on existing lawns (i do alot of that kind of work) and not tear them to death wear and the skid will. i know the best would be a skid and a exc., that would allow me to get the most work done the fastest but i can only afford one machine currently. i really need a ctl so i dont want to buy a 95xt only to sell it later, im thinking the deere could pay its self off and the i could buy a newer 332ctl or such . let me know what you think any input will help
Old 07-29-2007, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It really depends on the kind of work your doing. If you need to move a lot of material and handle heavy loads the 95XT would be the choice. If not the TLB maybe better. It really depends on the application and the type of work you do. ALso 3500 hours is not that bad on 95XT as long as it was not abused. I have seen many with 10K on them. Not a big deal, the machine is way over built.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Completely depends on the kind of work you're doing. If you're doing a lot of "earthmoving" and very little finesse work, the 95XT will be first. I find those TLB's to be suited only to one man shows where one guy can do the job of 2 machines. The TLB will not be nearly as efficient when using the backhoe vs. an excavator and the same goes for the loader end of the machine vs. a skid steer, but it's one machine to the job instead of 2 and one operator instead of 2. For production work, a skid/excavator combo will bury a TLB given you have 2 operators.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Once again it depends upon the jobs that you have lined up. I started out with an excavator and grading tractor and begrudgingly broke down and finally bought a skid........glad I did. If I had only one machine to choose, I would get an excavator first and then complement it later with a skid. You can get a large grading blade made for the excavator to do grading work, and a couple laborers working hard can move alot of material. An excavator can lead you into alot of jobs........sheesh, either one is better than nothing at all. It really depends on what you are doing now and what is on the calendar coming up....
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, like others have said it really depends on your situation. Personally I would get the excavator or skid steer and skip the TLB all together. There is nothing wrong with a TLB. They have made allot of money for people over the years but I guess I feel if I was going to get a TLB I would go for the bigger version. This one to me looks great for a small nursery are just a small weekend farmer. I mean they look buit but to me one of the other machines is way more efficient in my opinion
Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for all the impute!! i guess there is no right answer and the problem i have is a little bit of everything is lined up like brush hogging, finish grading, excavating for a retaining wall, setting some stone steps, ground prep for hydroseed, setting a limestone retaining wall, digging rock out of hedgerow, planting a bunch of trees, digging a hole for a little pos pond you get the idea one machine cant do all of this so im just trying to look at my current jobs and the ones from the past and evaluate what machine would have made them easier
Old 07-31-2007, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

brian....excavate for retaining wall, settin step, setting wall, digging rock out of hedge row, planting trees, digging for pond........that to me is excavator. Brush hogging if you have alot of that work could also demand an excavator. Finish grading could be roughed in with an excavator and hand raked out. We do drive way, patio and most other small to medium sized grading like that with our excavator. An excavator with blade and thumb (progressive link preferred) is a very versatile piece of equipment.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes i have been talking to alot of people and really going back and thinking about every little task on all my prior jobs and i think a excavator seems to be the one. ive just had it in my head for the last three years that a skid was what i needed first. i know what you mean about a thumb i wont own one with out, my dads got a pc200 komatsu with a nye 4' wide thumb and a 8' wide tilting ditch bucket. im thinking a 12,000 pound exc. would be the optimum size for my needs
Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That tilting bucket sounds awesome........I ran across a buddy this last week and he modified one of his buckets by adding a 5' grading blade with end caps and he grades with that.........his tilts. I watched for awhile and it has got me to thinking about making something up like that. None of my buckets tilt and I think that tilting ability would be a real handy addition. I have a 36" toothed bucket and a 36" bucket on which I welded a straight edge on for grading and softer soils and that has worked well for me......BUT, I keep looking for that proverbial "better mouse trap".
Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they are nice but the problem with nye is that when we drop the bucket to put on the 48'' trencher the tilt stays with the dithcher, its ok most of the time but alot of times you find your self pushing on the bottons thinking "why the h#ll is this thing not working"