Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2007, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

weed problem

what is the best product to spray in the beds of mulch and plants to keep the weeds out?
Thanks, Action Lawn Care Plus
Old 07-03-2007, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you looking for a pre emergent thats organic? If so, I don't know of one.

If you are looking for a spray we have the Everything Must Go product. That is a total vegetation killer.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I am new to organic sprays. what is EVERYTHING MUST GO? I dont want to harm plant of flowers when spraying... Can you tell me a little about that product?
~Jason
Old 07-05-2007, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Treat it like you would Roundup or other non selective weed controls.

What you spray is what dies.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Use 5% household vinegar, works faster than Round-Up and much more cheaper, more effective and environmentally friendly. Works great on younger weeds, but will require several applications on deep root weeds. You will see it taking effect in browing the weeds in 2 hours of application on hot sunny days.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

response

is that 5% vinegar to 1 gallon of water?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have just tried 5% household vinegar on my weeds in the cracks of my driveway (yesterday) and it did the trick.
The percentage applies to the acidity. Household vinegar is 5% acidity. Horticultural vinegar can be found with 10% and 20% acidity. You do not need to mix with water!
It is my understanding that extreme caution should be taken, especially with the 20% acidity. It may be harmful to the skin, I guess.

Just google "20 percent vinegar." I got all kinds of info that way.

I found 20% at a local nursery but it was $11 for a 32 ounce bottle. I bought some online for $13.99/gallon and am awaiting the shipment.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Corn Gluten may be your best bet

Corn Gluten acts as a natural pre-emergent herbicide. Think of it as a natural casoron. It doesn't damage pre-existing plants and is actually an organic fertilizer, consisting of 10% nitrogen. It sould be reapplied every month. Iowa State did the first studies on it. Check out there website at www.gluten.iastate.edu/ or just google "corn gluten weeds". I hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

maybe someone can help me out with this. you are supposed to use corn gluten meal as a natural premergent, but you are also supposed to overseed every fall in an organic program to crowd out the weeds and thicken the lawn. if you apply CGM for a couple years, and it starts working like a premergent then how are you supposed to overseed with it inhibiting the new grass seed from coming up???
Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkosar View Post
maybe someone can help me out with this. you are supposed to use corn gluten meal as a natural premergent, but you are also supposed to overseed every fall in an organic program to crowd out the weeds and thicken the lawn. if you apply CGM for a couple years, and it starts working like a premergent then how are you supposed to overseed with it inhibiting the new grass seed from coming up???
It is my understanding that corn gluten should not be applied when you are seeding or overseeding as it works by preventing seed germination. Corn gluten is a springtime application thus overseeding in the fall will not be hindered.

I have not read that it should be applied monthly, but timing of the application is crucial. It all varies upon the germination calendar in your area. I would contact your local county extension office and inquire. What I have heard is that applying CG as the crocusses are in bloom (early spring, in my area) is the proper time for preventing crabgrass germination.

I have not applied CG but am VERY interested in trying it to see how good it works. Anyone else use it?