Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: which mower do you think is better?
Toro. 73 14.54%
Exmark. 165 32.87%
Scag. 123 24.50%
Hustler. 63 12.55%
Other, and mention in thread!!! 78 15.54%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I own both toro and hustler walkbehinds, started with toro, then bought hustler. I am sold on hustler, excellent cut, ground speed, and durability. I think toro might be killing themselves with their prices for 08 and 09. $5300 for a 36"...i will never pay that
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

grasshopper, nothing smoother to drive and as comfortable to sit on, lays a beautiful cut too
Old 12-18-2008, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I voted for OTHER= FERRIS

Ferris IS1500Z W/O Mulch Kit, Light kit, Stripe kit, Hitch Kit, Great Day Canopy
Red Max BC250 Trimmer
Red Max HB250 Blower
Echo PE2000 Stick Edger
Echo HC-150 Hedge Trimmer
"Crazed Homeowner with Killer Lawn Tools"
www.fquick.com/todbnla
Old 12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My vote was for other. For me other=Walker!! I used to be an Exmark fan but I have grown to love the Walker mower. Exmark still makes a great mower. I just like the Walkers better.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by loom-gen View Post
People buy john deere for the name. They buy scags or exmarks to cut grass habitually, frequently and continuously.
that is the truth! i use a john deere ztrak pro z820a at day job and have run it against the exmark lazer z/lazer z xs.. the deere is fast but, we all know (sans jd's mulch on demand-mine does not have that), inevitably, we will have to cut tall grass with a mulch kit on unless you are blessed to have more than one ztr.. anything over a skim cut (yep i keep it serviced and sharpened) the deere sucks compared to the exmark same hp and same deck size. we have a ton of exmarks and three jd's at day job-- exmarks cut almost as fast when skimmin', faster in the thick stuff, and leave a much better cut than the jd with fewer problems..note: i do think the jd mulches better and cleaner than the exmark. sentimentally like toro due to my ever so reliable 22 year old proline 36 i have owned since new! but the ultracut/triton exmark is just straight out my favorite zero turn..
Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been a Dealer for all but Scag, and have worked on all of these for many years. The dealer makes the biggest difference. But I would have to say Hustler First, Toro Second, Exmark Third, and Scag Last. And by the way they are all great units. A dealer usually makes or breaks the brand.

Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

i have dealers for these brands in my town: deere, hustler, exmark. i have a couple of toro dealers, a gravely dealer, and a yazoo/kees dealer about 30-45 mins from my home.

i decided to go check out the hustlers today since he happens to also be the redmax (which is my favorite brand) dealer in my town. i have to say the mowers have some nice features. i especially found their hydro walk-behinds twist grip t-handle drive system very comfortable. and he says they use a 7 gauge deck. the prices on the ztr's and walk behinds are quite a bit less than the exmarks (which as of now is my choice) and seems to be a straight up guy. he priced me a hydro walk behind 48'/17 kawasaki that is the same price as the toro and exmark belt drives and considerably cheaper than the 36 turf tracer hp (yes it was the trimstar 48) . all the manufacturers use the same engines and ground drive systems.. any feedback from the hustler guys is welcome as is from anyone else ..and also is anyone using yazoo/kees??
Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run scag and John Deere would be my second choice toro third. I ran exmarks at my former employer and they cut very poorly compared to my scag and they were constantly needing something replaced and to top it all off my local exmark dealer is a prick and provides no support after the sale.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Price is always an issue. So you cant go wrong with Ferris or Snapper hydros
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started in business this year I had my eyes set on a brand new Exmark Lazer Z 60" Ultra Deck. They looked awesome. But, the more I have researched and formed opinions, that dream mower has switched to a brand new Scag Turf Tiger 61". Looks like an unbeatable machine to me. I like Grasshoppers as well, you can really make great time with them. Also as you can see in my sig I don't think JD is too bad either (Z225 42"), at least I am going to have and use a decent name-brand ZTR until I have the funding for that Scag! Are Hustlers really that great? Toro and Wright and Walker are names that are foreign around here.

John Deere Z425 23-48" (Mulch, Hitch, Stripe Kits)
3' x 5' Landscape Trailer
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer
Stihl BG 55 Blower

"Turning Grass Into Cash!"