Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-29-2000, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

98 Blazer 4.0 V-6<br>36&quot; Exmark Metro<br>21&quot; Craftsman bagger/mulcher<br>Echo string trimmer<br>Echo blower<br>Little Wonder edger<br>5X10 trailer w/ramp<br>Wife & 2 Sons<p>We are in eastern Nebraska and are ready to mow! We put out 350 flyers in our neighborhood yesterday......maybe a little early? But the weather has been sooooo nice....spring conditions forcast for the whole week. We will do more flyers, run an ad in the service directory in the paper and a local cable channel that just runs adverts. Will the customers now come???? Please say yes! <br>
Old 02-29-2000, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

<br>sounds like your covering your bases well. One other thought would be to put up some flyers in your local senior center if you have one in your area. This has always proved successful for us as an additional source of advertising.
Old 02-29-2000, 09:18 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Maybe just some insurance, about<br>3 fifty five gallon steel drums with the tops<br>cut off place in the front of your trailer to<br>handle the yard waste. A stand on sulky so<br>you can handle some &quot;big' jobs and to increase the already dismal production of<br>the 36&quot; deck.<p>That 21&quot; craftsman will be dead by June so<br>look around at the mower shops for a used<br>Toro commercial or even a consumer model with<br>the 2 cycle engine.<p>You will also need to have a spare string trimmer and hand blower.
Old 02-29-2000, 10:15 AM

Hello:<p>I wrote a small article about &quot;Are you really ready for spring&quot;? Check it out, it's at the very top of my home page. It doesn't cover everything but it will start you to thinking & that's why I wrote it.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 02-29-2000, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

21&quot; mowers are useless, unless you're in tiny areas.<p>Hand blowers are worthless.
Old 02-29-2000, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Starcity, something my mama used to tell me: &quot;MAKE DUE WITH WHAT YA GOT TILL YOU CAN GET BETTER.&quot; You're on the right track and bigger things await you. Establish yourself with the equipment you have and build up from there slowly.<p>Good Luck,<p>Homer
Old 02-29-2000, 10:45 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lazer, What you talking about, those hand blowers are great for blowing out candles. <p>StarCity, Try passing out the fliers on the weekend when people are at home. I did and was able to talk to some and got jobs by just talking to them. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>
Old 02-29-2000, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

star city...<br>putting flyers woked well for me last year..do you offer a special? that helps...<br>also target a neihborhood that you would like to get accounts in and flyer them to death.stay away from senior DISCOUNT centers..you'll get enough of them through your flyers..just my opionion<br>lazer,<br>do you have back pack blowers?
Old 02-29-2000, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

StarCity- Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Remember not to low ball your prices just to get accounts, it's not worth it. You'll be a lot better off being known for quality work and being reliable than for being cheap. Get insurance if you don't have it.<br>If your going to use that Craftsman much you better think about getting a decent commercial 21&quot;.I think the blower is a matter of personal choice, I've been using hand helds for over 10 years for blowing grass clippings off walks and drives. Unless you have properties with long walks and/or drives the hand held will be fine. When it comes time to blow leaves out of the shrubs that may be another story. <br>Good luck! John
Old 02-29-2000, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your input and information. We did put a coupon on the flyer for the 4th mowing free. We also offered free &quot;proffesional&quot; edging for anyone signing up for service before March 31st. We are doing edging as part of our regular mowing package anyway.....We just thought it might be an extra incentive.<br>As for the Craftsman......we'll run it into the ground and then worry about a comercial. It was hard enough spending the $ on the equipment we do have when we only had 1 customer! <br>Our second blower will be a back-pack but until then....we'll make due.<p>By the way....we just got our first call from the 350 flyers we put out yesterday! Hopefully there will be more. <br>Thanks again for all your help.