Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-29-2000, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Star City, where in Husker land are you from?<br>We service Lincoln and Kearney.
Old 02-29-2000, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

slager,<br>Yes, we have back-pack blowers. I think we've got 11 or 12. Stihl BR400's & Echo PB6000's. Going to sell all the Echo's this spring.
Old 02-29-2000, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere,<br>Hey, what do ya know! I was born in Kearney and grew up in Axtell. We are in Lincoln now and are giving lawn care a whirl on the side. I have a full time job in a print shop but my wife and I like the outdoors and she actually likes to mow and our 2 boys are just getting old enough that they can help out so we'll see what happens? How did you end up in Kearney AND Lincoln. You must have a good operation. Look forward to hearing more.<p>Steve<br>
Old 02-29-2000, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have one of those cheapy $100 echo handblowers for the walks and drives, most of the time I dont get the big blower out unless the grass is real heavy on the lawns. The hand blower usually gets stolen before it wears out thats why I get the cheapest one.<p>Bill
Old 02-29-2000, 03:17 PM

Hello StarCity:<p>Don't worry about equipment you got plenty to start with, what you need is work & plenty of it.<p>I started out with a truck, snapper rear engine rider, borrowed trimmer, handtools & broom. Also had the desire to make a living & be successful!<p>I never trimmed bushes before & as close as I got to edging was using a shovel.<p>5 years later I walked off with 100K, 2 trucks, & 10K in equipment. Think if I did that 4 times in 20 years which would be easy to do. I also made a real good living 3 of those 5 years. <p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 02-29-2000, 03:21 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I too, started out with a hand held blower. They will do the job, but where a 62cc back pack blower really makes a difference is on a driveway that is wet from rain or spinkler systems and you get some clipping on them. It will blow the snot out of the clippings, water, what ever is in the way. We have big driveways, which took forever with the hand held, but it did do the job. Good luck on your lawn maintenance adventure.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-29-2000, 04:36 PM

I understand you have start somewhere. What size yards will you be serving? If they are around half an acre. You are just spinning your wheels starting off with a 21 inch mower. And bagging at that. You are not putting yourself in any kind of position to even upgrade. If you are not in a position to buy a new commercial mower. At least buy a larger used commercial one. Your first year you are going to have to make enough to get you through the winter. Unless you have another job or doing small yards only. Well lets put it this way. If all your market is is small yards. I wouldn't even try this business. Be hard to support a family doing small yards. Speed and quantity and quality are the three main things in this business.
Old 02-29-2000, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't woory about what you are starting with. Worry about what you are working towards. I started with homeowner equipment 11 years ago. A snapper self propeled and McCulloch trimmer and blower. Man how did I ever make it. Just keep upgrading to meet your needs. 11 years and a bunch of bad purchaces later we finally have a winning combo. Dixies, Toro and Echo.<br>Hey lazer let me know when you want to sell some of the echo pb6000 blowers.<br>
Old 02-29-2000, 05:47 PM

Well there are many bigger homeowner type mower out there than a 21&quot; We are suppose to be helping people not make the same mistake that some of us did when we started. I started out with a 44&quot; Sears. Then within a year bought a 60&quot; john deer. From there I kept moving up.
Old 02-29-2000, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Getmow, you are bringing back a lot of fond memories! That is definitely funny to think back at all of the crap I've bought over the years, but that's how you learn. Just thought I would add that since I can really relate.