Register free!

Old 09-05-2001, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HYDRO MULCHING vs COMPOST/SEED BLOWING

We have an outfit here that is contracting out Mulch/ Compost blowing along with a new service of topdressing with compost/seeding.
he can overseed with compost @1/4" deep
or compost/seed @1" deep
Anybody have any experience with this?
He claims to do a better job than hydromulching.

David
Old 09-05-2001, 08:42 PM
Lawnsite Addict

I have never seen it done here but I would like to know what the cost difference is.

Here a sq ft of Hydro seed, just material cost is $.014 to $.021 per sq ft. The low side is 1200 lbs of mulch per acre, 300 lbs of seed, and 200 lbs of fert. The high side is 3000 lbs of mulch per acre and the same material amouts for seed and fert.

In these numbers I'm not quoting you BMF mulches which would bring the total much higher but I don't think your looking at steep slopes that need this type of renforcement.

Other factors are locating a good water source, how hard it is to shoot ( tower vs hose), and the type of land that you are shooting ( flat vs slopes)

Labor and machine time is not figured in the above smaller machines are slower at large areas.

I don't know of a tacking agent that you can add to compost to keep it on slopes, and I'm not sure how it would react to a heavy rain fall.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul, Thanks for the info. This outfit has quoted me :
1" thick compost
#8 per 1000sqft Lesco transition fescue.
No starter fert required as enough nutrients already in compost.
@ $.014 per sqft
This is blown on "dry" (no water added) with the same truck that blows on mulch. This time it will be on flat ground, I just have to see it work!!! The lesco guys here also want to see it.

The outfit has claimed to have redone some hydro jobs around a local Golf Course here with great success (steep slopes). I will be checking with them tomorrow....

David
Old 10-01-2001, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

The problem with compost jobs will be resistence to erosion. Hydromulch applied at heavy rates of wood with tac. will withstand heavy rain fall. I have seen the compost jobs sprayed on but have not seen what happens in heavy rain. I would think that loose soil would easily move and erode away. Hydromulch sprayed on properly would not.

When we add soil to a property we are also concerned with layering of the soils and the problems that causes, therefore any soil brought in that was not exactly the same as the existing soil would need to be rototilled into the soil.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To follow up on the Compost job. We had a downpour of about 5" in an hour. I lost about 5% of the compost. The company came back and repaired at no cost.
BTW my cost was $.10 1/2 per ft

David
Old 11-25-2001, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by racerdave
To follow up on the Compost job. We had a downpour of about 5" in an hour. I lost about 5% of the compost. The company came back and repaired at no cost.
BTW my cost was $.10 1/2 per ft

David
David,
How well has this terraseeding job been for you? Have you noticed any advantages over hydromulching? Where are you located? Do you happen to have any before/after pictures?
Old 12-30-2001, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

David,
Any word on the terraseeding job and the results you obtained? I have bought a piece of equipment to do the same process and will be trying this soon. Any info you can tell me on the success rate you had would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2001, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

We have a company here in Columbus starting to do the compost blowing. I have only seen brochures of their work, and it seems like a pretty good thing. $.105 seems like a price that was right in line with what these guys had on the brochures they were handing out.

I have to agree with Sean, though. If you aren't tilling the compost in all you are doing is layering. Once the soil packs and the roots spread it seems that you could be in for some problems. Then it becomes a service issue. Sure, it looks great after a couple of months but what is the long term viablilty of the product? Do you keep layering? Eventually something will have to give.

Just my opinion, not trying to dog the service or anything.

"Helping out Mother Earth, one lawn at a time."
Old 12-31-2001, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just kinda wonderin' how the whole project turned out, any pics ?