Register free!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

HOUZZ for landscape lighters

They hide you if you do not pay to advertise with them.

Is anyone paying them the huge monthly fee they are asking for their non targeted marketing shot gun approach?

If so is anyone remarkably having any success with it?
not respected in the lighting community
Not an innovator
A negative, toxic cancer no one wants to deal with
hack and hazard
according to 1 trade person who occasionally posts here at least
Old 07-02-2015, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Interesting that you bring this up. I've been getting numerous calls from them and I've been meaning to call them back to discuss it. I have a couple of friends in the landscape architecture business that use it and speak highly of them. I suppose the results will vary among different trades though.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Houzz has been pretty useful for us and have gotten a couple of leads from it. We don't advertise with them yet though. We might go that way instead of google as a trial to try to get a different type of prospective client.

Edit: I should note that we turn turnkey landscape design and construction projects.

Last edited by kellanv; 07-02-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellanv View Post
Houzz has been pretty useful for us and have gotten a couple of leads from it. We don't advertise with them yet though. We might go that way instead of google as a trial to try to get a different type of prospective client.

Edit: I should note that we turn turnkey landscape design and construction projects.
Any jobs from it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Not yet. Its a pretty new thing for us and I'm not quite sure how to actually use it yet. Honestly I need to put a lot more content up but over half of our work is commercial so they won't let me.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellanv View Post
Not yet. Its a pretty new thing for us and I'm not quite sure how to actually use it yet. Honestly I need to put a lot more content up but over half of our work is commercial so they won't let me.
Are you sure they found you organically or from a clickable link from your website or other marketing? Unless you are an advertiser your space on their site doesn't exist in other words you won't show up in a search on their site. If you provide a link then your page can be found otherwise you are a ghost.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Search "hill country villa garden" and see if my company (Vincent Landscapes, Inc.) comes up in the search results. They did for me.

They could be links from our website and Facebook but I havent had any reason to believe that they don't show up. Lots of people add our photos to their ideabooks etc. and I dont believe that traffic is all coming through our other social media and website traffic.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real Mike Gambino View Post
They hide you if you do not pay to advertise with them.
That's completely false.

Quote:
Is anyone paying them the huge monthly fee they are asking for their non targeted marketing shot gun approach?
I'm not.

Quote:
If so is anyone remarkably having any success with it?
It's far easier for me to come up with dozens of Houzz-successful companies that I know that don't pay them than it is for me to come up with 5 that do.

Now, regarding your particular Houzz page (assuming your company is tied to your displayed username/location), there's exactly zero surprise that you're not ranking for that service area. Zero. It's not a conspiracy on Houzz's part. It's due to a pretty meager effort on yours.

You'll want to take a closer look at your account as it doesn't seem complete and it could use a lot of work. You also have zero reviews and no recent activity. Your photos have no descriptive content ("Romar Chatsworth" is not descriptive content. A quick sampling tells me all of your photos are equally uninformative).

Based on the lack of reviews, alone, even if you were ranked high in their results, you're not going to out-convert the company that has positive reviews.

Saying you're buried (which you are), or not found (untrue), is like someone putting up the most basic of web sites, doing nothing else, and thinking that should rank them in a major metro area. You have to do the work. You might start by looking at the top ranked Houzz pages in your market and see what they're doing that you're not.

Re: your watermarked images, there's a reason Houzz tries to dissuade their use. They tend to look bad and pull people "from the moment" as they're looking at your galleries. In your case, those aren't stopping anyone from stealing your photos. 10 seconds and anyone with the most basic of photo editing skills will vanish them.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

BOOM!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2015, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Saying you're buried (which you are), or not found (untrue)
To correct myself, you're buried or nonexistent for LA. For "landscape lighting", you're #3 for your Houzz profile's listed city.