Register free!

Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

best tree ladder

so aside from james' tracked man lift what is the premier way of getting to uprights? I had a warner-levelok ladder but due to a flipped truck am in need of a new extension ladder. i saw this link ladder from louisville and like the shelf and the V cut but wish it was aluminum instead of fiberglass
Old 08-01-2015, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have that ladder. I use it for working on some rental properties I own, not for lighting though.

It is a good ladder. Heavy as hell, compared to my 40 ft aluminum. I normally need help getting the 32 fiberglass up in the air, while the 40 ft aluminum I can do by myself by putting the feet up against the side of the house and walking it up. The fiberglass is too heavy for just me, but I am old and out of my prime physically. Once it is vertical, I can walk it around by myself.

If it still the same, it has a nice V tray (6"x12" +or-) with some slots and a lip on the tray to keep things from rolling off, if laid flat, at the top of the ladder for holding tools and the V keeps the ladder stable, when I use it at the corner of the houses. It should work fine against a tree.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I just looked again at the other pics and the tray looks the same.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have owned a LOT of aluminum extension ladders. The best in my experience is the Werner 32Ft Type 1. http://www.wernerco.com/ca/en/view/P...-2CA/D1332-2CA

It combines the best features and safety at a weight that is just manageable over the long haul. ( I am approaching 50yrs old now )

I have had others by Reynolds, Featherlite, Louisville... but this one is the best by far. Ours is now 3 seasons old and about time for a new one. (we use them every day and all day.) Remember to buy at least a Class 1 Ladder (250 LBS) to get you past the minimum commercial use requirements. I find the Class 1A and 1AA to be too heavy for daily, frequent use.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA LO, MBA
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks James. Valid concern on my be weight issue. That is also an issue for me being in the hills it ain't fun dragging a ladder around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like my tree climbing harness instead of ladders but that's just me. I have a fibreglass and an aluminium extension ladders but hardly use them in trees. I have one 12 ft( can't recall actual size) a frame ladder that I use often.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Climbing harnesses are just fine if you are doing one or two fixtures, but they are a serious PITA and time eater when you are installing 20, 30, or 100 fixtures in trees... The time it takes to rig a tree with climbing gear is precious on an installation, and then when you have to return and aim the fixtures in the dark, forgetaboutit!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA LO, MBA
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
Climbing harnesses are just fine if you are doing one or two fixtures, but they are a serious PITA and time eater when you are installing 20, 30, or 100 fixtures in trees... The time it takes to rig a tree with climbing gear is precious on an installation, and then when you have to return and aim the fixtures in the dark, forgetaboutit!
I guess I might be the only one. Most of of the trees I've done have been large old live oaks. They have large limbs and can monkey around easily. All i go up with is my harness and my tools. A bucket goes up and down as materials are needed. I don't do crazy rigging as i would when cutting down trees. Going up and down on ladders for me it takes longer to do multiple fixtures. A wide laser pointer is really helpful and usually have very little repositioning to do in trees. Still have my 32 ft aluminium ladder though, those are like wheels to cars even the cavemen had wheels back in their times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned above, 32' Warner Type 1 aluminum is what gets used for the majority of our trees. It's fairly easy to maneuver and has little flex.
We also like the Little Giant multi-function ladder. The adjustable A-frame allows us to get into those 10-15 ft. places. It can also convert to a 22ft telescoping ladder. Overall, it's a very versatile tool.
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The ladder I need would make me a year younger for each rung I climb.

starrynightlighting.com

"Always look on the bright side of life."