Register free!

Old 02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Time to re-focus?

Lately, there seems to have been far too much attention put on 'the stuff' and far too little attention put on 'the talent'. It would be nice to reverse that trend for a while seeing as this forum is supposed to be about lighting system's design and installation. (Perhaps it is time to break this down into two separate forums? One for stuff and one for practice.)

A long time ago, I was taught that the fixtures are simply the tools that are used by a designer; a lamp holder and nothing more. The real money in this industry (from a designer/contractor perspective) is in the talent and creativity that one has for applying that light in an appealing fashion. Those who get it, and who have this talent can command a premium for their work, those who do not will be relegated to a time and materials based trade. This is a simplified approach of course, as there is far more involved in running any successful business than just stuff and practice, but for now, lets just run with this.

Also, coincidentally or not, I have noticed that as the shift on this forum has gone towards discussions of stuff, the volume of discussion and participation from seasoned lighting pros has remarkably decreased. That is a shame, as there are many dozens of really talented lighting pros out there who have a lot to offer this industry. It would be great to hear them chime in again and have them support the newbies and up & comers in this industry that help to keep it fresh and vibrant. Not to mention how that input helps to make everyone better at what we do, which of course then improves the public's experience with outdoor lighting, and so on....

So how about it? How about some good solid discussions on 'how to' rather than a constant focus on 'stuff'. How to doesn't have to involve giving away any trade secrets, nor does it have to include detailed specifics... it can simply be the spark of creativity that encourages someone to try something new, to great result.

Light on!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA LO, MBA
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe Lawnsite should promote more effectively two other under-used forums that exist on this site. Those being the "Sponsors Special Announcements & News" and the "Sponsor Forums: Landscape Lighting." The current population of the latter forum is Volt and Illumicare. Some years ago, it also included Unique and, I think, Cast.

That promotion might "cleanup" this forum. I must admit I get a little irritated when guys "in the green industry" come on here and ask for detailed advice about "stuff" rather than "lighting design, talent, and technique." When I see an unfamiliar username, I often look them up, and sometimes discover that they have more posts in threads like "Show Us Your Stripes" or "How much would you charge for this leaf cleanup?".

Maybe the moderators could redirect some of the questions and answers about specific manufacturers products to those other sponsor forums.

Just some thoughts from me on the subject. In the meantime, I think maybe we regulars should come up with some new threads on design, talent, industry issues and truly innovative "stuff." As for former members, some pop up now and then, so they must read the forum occasionally. They might contribute if we would "re-focus" as James suggests.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-22-2015, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do have to say y'all have been great with me and I have appreciated y'alls help imput and criticism. I agree with you two in just about every point. Hey Phil when you looked me up did you see the same shenanigans as you listed above it's ok i can take it like a man hahaha.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondragon Lawn Serv View Post
I do have to say y'all have been great with me and I have appreciated y'alls help imput and criticism. I agree with you two in just about every point. Hey Phil when you looked me up did you see the same shenanigans as you listed above it's ok i can take it like a man hahaha.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nah, Alfonso, you don't fall into the same category. In fact, you don't seem to fall into any category. I was most curious about your surname. Have you ever researched your genealogy? My knowledge of Latin immediately suggested to me "mountain dragon." (You probably know all of this but I will proceed for possible interest of other readers.) I found the surname originated in the Basque region which straddles the modern borders of Spain and France, on the Atlantic side. There is a legend that a "dragon" came down from the mountains and ate villagers. Later, when surnames came to be used, some people in the region took the name Mondragon.

In keeping with the purpose of this thread, this is not technical lighting or design subject matter. On the other hand, someone (maybe Integra James) once suggested we have a little personal banter among the regular posters on this forum to give it a social touch.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
Nah, Alfonso, you don't fall into the same category. In fact, you don't seem to fall into any category. I was most curious about your surname. Have you ever researched your genealogy? My knowledge of Latin immediately suggested to me "mountain dragon." (You probably know all of this but I will proceed for possible interest of other readers.) I found the surname originated in the Basque region which straddles the modern borders of Spain and France, on the Atlantic side. There is a legend that a "dragon" came down from the mountains and ate villagers. Later, when surnames came to be used, some people in the region took the name Mondragon.

In keeping with the purpose of this thread, this is not technical lighting or design subject matter. On the other hand, someone (maybe Integra James) once suggested we have a little personal banter among the regular posters on this forum to give it a social touch.
Ah schucks so in other words I'm one of a kind =D . Thanks for the lesson, and yes i did know. Did you look up the Mondragón Corporation as well? It's a unique business structure some call it communists and God knows what else.It's a good read if you have free time.

I think a personal forum on here woukd be neat. I mean lighting is awesome but learning unique facts of people is much more entertaining.

I think maybe a division of it's own kinda like the tree forum on here would be nice what y'all think? Maybe the fact that there's really only one section for lighting on the whole forum might be the reason why there's tensions at times, but than again I'm kinda new on here so yeah.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2015, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I very much agree. A productive focus has been lost and I'm sorry to say that I have probably contributed to that. Time to re-evaluate, re-group and re-define the purpose of this collaboration.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh wouldn't it be nice:

1: To have an online forum that had limited access, and that access was restricted to those who were screened and determined to be true professional members of this industry.
2: To have an online forum that was not supported by the revenue generated by advertising. I.E. No manufacturers or distributors of product allowed to view or participate.
3: To have an online forum that supported the pursuit of excellence, and allowed its members to openly and freely communicate and discuss any and all aspects of this industry, without fear of criticism, reprisals or retribution.
4: To have an online forum that encouraged sharing, collaboration, and open dialogue.
5: To have an online forum that didn't include 'tag lines' where the members listed all of their tools and equipment as if that was some sort of badge of honour!

But alas; It does not exist, and this is all just wishful thinking...

Question: If such a forum did exist, would you be willing to pay a modest monthly/annual subscription fee to keep it up and running?

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA LO, MBA
Old 03-01-2015, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

James and all, those bullet points are fine but we could start by merely [U]ignoring[U] those posts by non-lighting professionals or with questions clearly from those who are ignorant of our profession.

I think all of us regulars , at one time or another, have answered questions or given free advice to DIYers or "lawn-mowing guys." (those with the silly lists of equipment and trucks.) We can't keep them from posting here but we could merely not participate in those threads.

On the other hand, a closed forum would preclude "new" or potential professionals from accessing what can be valuable information and encouragement. I started here four years with what could have been regarded as a stupid question but the answers to my question and further reading on this forum piqued my interest in lighting design. I chose to leave general landscaping and specialize in lighting. I would like to term myself a lighting professional now.

As for the advertisers, they do support the site but I wish they would not promote their specific wares in response to questions on this forum.
I would rather they just respond with general recommendations and refer posters to the company forum elsewhere on this site for specific product information.

I think James that you, yourself, were somewhat guilty of that kind of promotion some years ago.

Yes, I would be willing to pay a moderate fee for such a website as you
propose.