Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Question about king-sized white wire connectors

Yesterday I saw something new...

A light system installed using some big ol' white wire connectors. These suckers didn't look unusual in any way except they were white... and bigger than my thumb. But other than that they were the shape of an ordinary wire-nut type wire connector.

I didn't get a close enough look to tell if they were silicon-filled or if they were not. (I hope they were because they were on a lighting system - two little 14ga wires spliced together by the biggest connector I've ever seen - like two sizes bigger than the tan ones made by Dryconn.)

I shopped around all the manufacturer's websites and visited a local electrical supply. Found nothing.

I took a picture but it's not very good. Looks like some mulch with a couple of just white objects laying on it. Can't tell what it is from the picture.

Anyone got any ideas?

TIA
Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

2-14's in that big of a wire nut- Sounds like a recipe for repair to me. I have never seen white wire nuts (although I don't pay much attention to them because I don't use them). Was it a set that came with the fixture perhaps?

I found this on Amazon- it's white-not sure it's what you had though

http://www.amazon.com/RainBird-Water...P1C3ANYAWXMFJK

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 09-09-2014, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just a quick comment about those tan connectors from Dry-Conn that was mentioned: As I'm sure a lot of you already know, those tan connectors are only rated for 10 amps. You probably won't run into too much trouble if you're using them on LED lighting but keep that in mind if you're still installing halogen and incandescent. 192 watts on 12 guage wire is creating a minimum of 16 amps.... Just trying to look out for anyone who might make that mistake.