Register free!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
Hey Ryan - This property is over in Arlington. We just finished the first phase of that job and will go back in a week or two. We are working in TCU area the rest of the week - depending on the weather.

Steve
Very cool man. I hope the weather gets better next week.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a really nice project we completed Monday evening. I cannot for the life of me get some nice photos of it due to the metal halide street lights. I will have to try again from some different positions or climb up and put a bucket over the street light.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
I have a really nice project we completed Monday evening. I cannot for the life of me get some nice photos of it due to the metal halide street lights. I will have to try again from some different positions or climb up and put a bucket over the street light.
Billy, Ive had the same problem on several properties. I had one homeowner want to get out his .22 and take out the light. Most of those street lights must have a photocell on them because the lights on my truck have turned them off at times. I have thought about trying a powerful handheld spotlight and see if that would turn them off - at least long enough to get some pics. Let me know what works.

Steve
Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thought I would get this thread going again to see what everybody else has been doing for the last little while.
Here a couple of shots of some recent installations. The wind was blowing on the second shot.
This night time photography is going to take some time to master.

Ken
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great, you have to go back in the winter to get a shot with the foliage off the trees. Did you water the driveway or is it after a storm?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
I was teaching a photo seminar in FL and we had the same problem. A couple guys got a ladder and we covered the offending lights with black-wrap foil. I always keep a roll of this material (designed for theatrical lighting) along with a roll of black gaffer's tape (specially designed to withstand hot lighting fixtures).

Purchasing links: Gaffer's Tape; Black Foil

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Ken,

That looks great. Is there actually more light in the canopies of those trees lining the drive than showed up in the photo? Can I ask what fixtures you used to uplight those trees? How many fixtures are there per tree? Also, how do you wire something like that? Sorry for all the questions - I have a project (hopefully) that I am working on that has palm trees lining the drive similar to your's here. All information and thoughts you are willing to share are greatly appreciated.
Have A Great Day!!
Bobbi
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLI Electric View Post
Looks great, you have to go back in the winter to get a shot with the foliage off the trees. Did you water the driveway or is it after a storm?
Bob, actually they just had the driveway sealed two days before I went back to take the shots. Very high gloss sealer and I have not seen anything like it before.

Ken
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningIllumination View Post
Hi Ken,

That looks great. Is there actually more light in the canopies of those trees lining the drive than showed up in the photo? Can I ask what fixtures you used to uplight those trees? How many fixtures are there per tree? Also, how do you wire something like that? Sorry for all the questions - I have a project (hopefully) that I am working on that has palm trees lining the drive similar to your's here. All information and thoughts you are willing to share are greatly appreciated.
Have A Great Day!!
Bobbi

Bobbi,

With some help from my mentors here I went with a PAR36 well light. My intentions were not to have them too bright as I wanted the house to pop in the background.
Three well lights under each tree except for the two towards the house which have four. All 20 watt vwfl.
Because of the distance from the trf. each tree has a dedicated #10Awg going to it.
If your project is designed to have them brighter than I would go with a MR16 well light with wide flood bulbs or BABs.
The house is lit by bullets roughly a foot from the foundation with 20 watt BABs. The entrance is lit by two bullets which are located about 3 feet from the entrance.
This job was a tear out and install new. Originally they had one hadco bullet under each tree with 50 watt bulbs fed by #12 solid underground wire in daisy chain and to boot the connections were just taped. Needless to say the transformers were on with no lights on
Hope this helps.

Oh and Bob, I will try this winter to take a couple of pictures as I think it will look amazing during those months with snow on the ground and leaves off.
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Ken
Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Now that is picture perfect