Register free!

Old 09-05-2001, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why Fert In April/sept???

I applied a 32/5/8 50%scu plus iron in early July. Then the nasty drought set in. Now, since the rains have returned, the lawns are very green and growing so fast that they need to be cut every 3-5 days. I believe the fert is just now begining its release cycle. I have not been there for 2 months and the weeds are really growing like mad. I need to treat. I decided to apply weed control and CHELATED IRON at 2 oz/1000. My customers are extremely pleased with the treatment. I am aware that the color will not last as long as fert, but most every lawn is GREEN right now. Even the ones that are not fertilized. I am seriously considering using IRON instead of fert in the April & Sept. treatment every year.
I have noticed the same problem in normal years. The lawns are very green in those months and mowing becomes a real problem.
What do you think?
Old 09-06-2001, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Choose your fert material and timing more wisely.

April Low N fert delivering no more than .5-.6 lbs of N such as 12-0-24 or 13-3-6.

If necessary for summer use a lower N les than 20% on irrigated lawns and non on unirrigated unless it's a wet year and they're hungry.

Fall, use 1-1.5 lbs of N, 50% sl;ow release.

Dormant late fall before frozen ground .2-.3 lb fast release N and high K.

Cool season turf likes a diet of 3 to parts of N to 1 part P to 2 parts K.

Stay around 2.5 lbs maybe up to 3.5 on sandy irrigated turf of N per year. Apply 50%-65% of anual N amount Sept into Dec.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually do apply about 50% of N after sept. It is the spring season where the N becomes a problem. The granular fertilizers that have pre-m or team are about 23% N quick release. I really don't want to use liquid pre emergent. I suppose I could apply a lower rate in the first app and re-apply it later (at a lower rate), but I have not seen any fert/pre-m products which are sulfur-coated. Are you aware of any?
Old 09-06-2001, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco has plenty at 13% N and even 0-0-7 if you want none. The Andersons uses nutralene and I don't know what else and there is a company called Shaws that manufactures product.

You'll have to do local home work on the suppliers.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Matthew,
1Lb of N is a bit hairy during turfs normal growth spurts. There is no reason to use large amounts of N when turf density is allready good. You can cause more harm than good. .5Lbs N is ok
Iron is great for color. It is NOT a substitute for N or density & various low N disorders will arise in time. (clover, dollar spot, etc).
Rate has a lot to do with how long turf remains green following an Iron app. Ph, grass type,moisture & rate of growth all impact the degree & length of response. Its hard to damage turf with Iron but it can be done.
Experiment with the low & heavy rates (at home?) to get a feel for performance.
Generally, Chelated forms work quicker. Non chelated forms are slow & the overall fate is questionable.
Don't sweat the fertilizer analysis unless you are using a comination product. You can adjust the spread rate of any appropriate analysis to deliver any amount of N that is desired. Low analysis fert blends mean your paying for non active filler. just watch trying to spread any 50lb bag at >20,000 sq (2.5lbs/M) when its humid.
Steve