Register free!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lake Front Retaining wall

Hey guys, im looking for some help on choosing what material will be best for this wall we are going to be building probably next summer. It on the Schroon Lake in the Adirondacks. If you look at the pictures below you'll get a better idea of what we are trying to do. Im trying to decide what material will be better, concrete products or natural dry stacked. I also what to try to disturb as little as possible to try to save the trees behind the wall. the trees are said to be protected by the apa. so i have to look into what the laws are for lake front landscaping.

I would also like it if people could post pictures of their lakefront projects or natural stone wall projects. Id like to see the different types of material you can use for the walls

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2007, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I kinda like it just how it is! I wouldn't touch it if it were mine.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well something has to be done with the steps, maybe will use some big steppers
Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would leave it a lone ,because if you put a wall across the front everything would be cockeyed. Maybe just a small wall in the corner and make a patio with an outdoor fireplace.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2007, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen lots of wall pics posted on here that Greenmonster's crew built over the last couple years on shorelines so maybe drop him a pm.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am like everyone else. I like the exposed roots on the trees and the natural rock. Find a way to take and build a nice set of steps that blends with the rocks that are alredy there. You could even build a small patio in the woods above the rocks looking out accros the lake.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you just building a retaining wall for the shoreline? I'm assuming there is no Tide, and/or the high/low water mark does not vary much. If your building a bulkhead, or the wall will be for docking, There is A LOT of engineering that needs to be considered with building the wall correctly. It's not real hard, but you can't omit the required steps or materials needed.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the natural look. I would like to see the steps rebuilt with solid stone slabs and retain the areas next to the steps with a few large and medium size boulders. Keep it natural. Don't disturb the natural transition between water and land unless it poses a problem to the house or property. Definitely stay away from a SRW, that would be tacky.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Luck!

We did a project over in Speculator, 1 hour west of Scroon Lake. It took 16 months of paper work with the APC before we could move one shovel of dirt. They wanted engineering prints, structural analysis, and 20 other things. Building lake walls is one thing, building lake walls in the Adirondacks is a whole nother can of worms. If you want more information on dealing with the APC you can contact me.

An SRW will last alot longer in those harsh environments if built right and will get approval easier. Natural walls have alot more red tape but may look nicer in that environment. Pick your poison.

Our project can be seen at this link on page 40:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=37810&page=40
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if it were me I would keep the natural look. Rebuild the steps and put some landscape lights in. But thats just me.
Use Vista print click here http://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=638256053415

2004 Ford F-250
Toro Z558 60"/28hp
Quick 36 Super Duty
Cub Cadet 50"/22hp (operational)
Toro Personal Pace 22''
toro string trimmer
Redmax bp blower EB7001 & EBZ8001

Shindaiwa / Echo handhealds
18hp billy goat leaf loader with swing hitch for sale make offer