Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2007, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK, Further inspection shows the E/M pad arms are stuck. This is why I couldn't move them the proper direction, Also the E/M pads are worn un-even.

We are going to clean all brake assemblies up and apply a little white grease to all moving parts and install new E/M pads, Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks everyone for your replies !

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

resto--also make sure the wire to the brakes is at least 12 gauge--esp if both axles have brakes--been there--14 might be ok for one brake--but not for two---it takes current and amps to set those brakes--but it sounds like someone has those brakes totally screwed up!!!!!!!! get a pic of the way they are supposed to be from where you get the parts for them from--they have them-------with a hub off--have soemone pull the brake controller--and see how strong the magnet is--as these sometimes weaken over time--who knows why??? the harder the mag pull---the harder the brakes apply--
Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyman View Post
with a hub off--have soemone pull the brake controller--and see how strong the magnet is--as these sometimes weaken over time--who knows why??? the harder the mag pull---the harder the brakes apply--
Strange olyman, That was a test I performed this morning, I wanted to see if the rheostat in the controller was acting up (not putting out enough voltage).

I took our 750 cca jumper battery and jumped right to the magnet. With a 3" putty knife held across the pad area I couldn't move the arm at all without it sliding off, I was able to pull the putty knife straight off pretty easy.

The new E/M pads should be in tomorrow and I'll perform the same test on them to see the difference.

Oh, The wire size appears to be larger than 14 ga leading to all 4 backing plates.

Thanks

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

rob--thats what i call B A D magnets!!!!!!!!! you shouldnt have been able to pull them off with a dozer at full power!!!!!!! be careful to use a grease on the pivots points that doesnt draw dust--and i dont have to eggsplain why--i personally use antisieze--no joke--nickel based--it will get a light coating--but thats about it--and you know how sticky that stuff is!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyman View Post
i personally use antisieze
Yeah, That's a better idea. I had planed on using that on the adjusters since one of those had locked up since the last adjustment. The white grease came to mind because back in my auto biz days the boss was old school and that's what we used back then, But I believe a little smear of the antiseize will work better.

Bull Dozer Huh !!!

Thanks

Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Yeah, That's a better idea. I had planed on using that on the adjusters since one of those had locked up since the last adjustment. The white grease came to mind because back in my auto biz days the boss was old school and that's what we used back then, But I believe a little smear of the antiseize will work better.

Bull Dozer Huh !!!

Thanks
its realitive--accordinging to the size of the dozer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Which shoe to the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouse View Post
Maybe the brakes and backing plates were installed on the wrong sides? Also the larger lined shoe goes to the front. The front shoes are thrown into a binding action and need the extra lining.
Khouse,

You have this 180 deg out. The shorter lining is always to the front of vehicle.

Regards,

Eric D
Old 08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric D,
It was 1984 when I quit working on cars. Thanks for keeping me strait. Maybe it was just too many beers!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Found out today my E/M pads wont be in till Monday.
The dang trailer has to roll tomorrow so gotta put it all back together as was, I HATE having to do things twice.....

I will post the results next week for reference.

PS, khouse....Don't feel bad, I get mixed up sometimes too and I don't even drink anymore !!!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

ok my turn--hows they working now?????????????