Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey olyman....

I got the pads on today but now I have a thump....thump....thump when going slow ???

Do ya think I should of turned the controller down before I snatched the manual lever over ? JK....

They are working great again

Thanks to everyone that posted and fly-4-fun for the animation link so I could see how the operate....

Oh, Tomorrow I'm going to cut open one of the old pads to reveal the magnet, Just to see what it looks like. I will post a pic for anyone else wanting to take a gander.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=Restrorob;1940644]Hey olyman....

I got the pads on today but now I have a thump....thump....thump when going slow ???

Do ya think I should of turned the controller down before I snatched the manual lever over ? JK....

kids!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad to hear--have helped people over on another forum---they be happy when their working again!!!!!!! and i dont know how you set brakes---but i raise the axle--and tighten till they are rubbing the drums lightly---instant stop--which is what you want--and they wont get hot just touching the drums--plus after some stops--they will be seated to the drums--and wont be touching anymore--- oh ----and tearing the magnets apart--just like a little kid--cant help yourself---can ya??????????????????
Old 08-24-2007, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, That's the way I've always adjusted brakes. I adjusted then took it for a slide then re-adjusted.

Quote:
oh ----and tearing the magnets apart--just like a little kid--cant help yourself---can ya??????????????????

Hey....What can I say ????

Even as a tyke, While other's played with their toys I had to take mine apart to see how they worked.

This pad surface was worn to the point part of the white plastic winding sleeve was exposed. I see no sign of any bonding agent on the inside of the sleeve or on the center dowel to hold it in place, It pushed out of the sleeve very easily.

The only thing I can figure is the dowel is inserted into the winding sleeve then this sleeve is some what pressed into the lining in a recessed cavity thus tightening the dowel in place ? then the lining bonded to the steel backing plate.

The center dowels in the new pads were about 3/8" or so longer which would give more mass to magnetize in return a stronger pull for better braking power.

I suppose we can put this trailer brake job/learning experience to rest now......

Thanks again everyone !!!

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Old 08-25-2007, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I though that center dowel pin was suppose to be welded to the backing plate. From your picture it looks like it may have been at one time. That shinny part looks to be were the weld broke loose
Old 08-25-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, No weld in sight not even on the new ones.

That gray area inside the pad is silicone of some kind.

The shinny part is where the plastic winding sleeve was touching.

Now, There is a 3/16" thick disc bonded (not welded) to the bottom of the dowel pin. It looks like two different materials.

Most likely the dowel is a softer material to wear with the pad lining and this 3/16" disc (harder material) was supposed to be a press fit into the backing plate to keep the dowel from pulling through.

If that's the case that is what failed, The dowels on all four pads had pulled through the winding sleeve (most likely from heat/cooling over the years) reducing their size which caused less mass to magnetize so a weak pull.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

OK. Now I understand. The winding was moving in and out when you applied the brakes but the pads were not going with it. No wonder you did not have any brakes.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

and now that your a wiz with trailer brakes------------------------going to be a mobile trailer brake mech?????????????????
Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not on "YOUR" life....

I'm happy sitting on my roll around crapsman seat I built under my four bearing trolley 'I' beam system I built with a 880 lb lift winch hanging in front of my BIG shop fan working on peoples abused equipment.

You can see both in the back ground;

Oh, The frame hanging from the 'I' beam is the heli-porter I built.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

and whats a heliporter?????????????