Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2001, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

poison ivy in juniper

Is there a spray that can be applied over the top for poison ivy growing in a bed of juniper?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-07-2001, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tim,
While roundup is not labeled for "over the top" of any desirable plants, Junipers are pretty tough stuff. While I won't advise an over the top, a directed spray might be possible depending on the amount of intermingling between branches/leaves. I treated my own Junipoer bed for grasses this year by swiping the grass with a Roundup loaded "wick-applicator". Fusilade 2 works on grasses only.
A spreader-sticker helps to break the surface tension caused by Poison Ivie's waxy cuticle.

2,4-d containing products do a better job than Roundup on Poison Ivy.
My experience indicates that Trychlopyr does a nice job too.

Therefore I just finished reviewing a Lontrel Herbicide label from Dow.

www.cdms.net/manuf/products.asp?product=lontrel

While Lontrel is used over the top of many junipers, it's not labeled for Poison Ivy. It is labeled for other Dicots, which makes it a VERY handy tool. Check it out.

So to be legal, try a properly labeled 2,4-d containing herbicide that IS labeled for bed use.
Products like PBI Gordons Trimec or LESCO Threeway, won't be allowed off turf. The Dicamba would likely cause root obsorption on sensitive plants.
A few years ago, I sold a product called Brushmaster, that was labeled & worked. I just don't know what became of it.
I hope this helps. Steve
Old 09-07-2001, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used Round Up sprayed over the top of junipers in the spring to early summer to try and kill low junipers and the junk both grass and broadleaf that was with them.

Never killed the junipers but cleaned up the beds and didn't do the planned re-landscape.

In Minnesota in the late '80's I was on a Christmas tree growers tour where they have flown Round Up over the top of Douglas Fir by helicopter to kill brush and weeds in the plantation.

CAUTION: Differenet plants are more suseptable to control measures at different times of the year. Douglas Fir would be wiped out by a spring application. POSSIBLY fall could be wrong for Juniper.

Wait for more posts and talk to the manufacturer!
Old 09-08-2001, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a customer this summer who had really rank poison ivy growing out the top of his junipers. Confront cleaned out the poison ivy and the junipers are doing fine.
Good luck.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Who makes Confront.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Confront is a Dow Chemical product (I guess they call themselves DowAgroscience or something like that now). You can find it at your professional chemical suppler. My cost is $96.50/gal at Terra (Agro Dist). Use 2 pt/A or 1/2 oz/gal in a hand sprayer. If you use any Ammonia Sulfate I would buffer with some liquid cal this time of the year.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-09-2001, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys,

Be careful, while I doubt that Confront would damage Junipers, it isn't labeled. Check it out.

www.cdms.net/ldat/ld0AR002.pdf

Confront contains Trichlopyr & Chlopyralid; both will smoke Poison Ivy all day, as they do on most hard to control viney lawn weeds like Ground Ivy, Clover, & Violets to name a few.

Lontrel, also by DowAgrosciences, is all Chlopyralid. Its labeled for over the top, but not specifically for Poison Ivy. Check it out.

www.cdms.net/ldat/ld2QB000.pdf

The regulatory agencies here in the northeast will hang you if a product is used in a manner inconsistent with it's labling. I believe the same to be true elsewhere.

Good Luck, Steve